Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Annual home glamour friendly...vs Soton in a half open stadium

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Totally underwhelmed to see that the usual big name home friendly is against Southampton. In past seasons we've had the whole ground open and sold seats pretty well, but going on a Thursday to a half empty ground (or less) just doesn't give me the pre Championship buzz I was hoping for. Saturday 3pm, full ground, yes i can see that would be good. But do the suits expect a poor turnout? Maybe i'm just being negative, or a miserable s0d.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
No I agree. Couldnt not be bothered about this fixture. After the likes of Chelsea / Spurs / Valencia in previous years a Soton are a bit of a joke.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
And it could be a Soton side minus their big stars that have gone elsewhere.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Most the "big teams" won't be playing their full squads pre season due to the World Cup.. I'd rather save mine and the clubs money than pay stupid money to watch Barcelona B team.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Most the "big teams" won't be playing their full squads pre season due to the World Cup.. I'd rather save mine and the clubs money than pay stupid money to watch Barcelona B team.

This game is after the World Cup ???

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This game is after the World Cup ???

18 days after the World Cup ends but the point I think bn1&bn3 Albion is trying to make is that the big name players that are involved with the World Cup are unlikely to be playing many pre-season friendlies, as they will be given some time off straight after the world cup, and will be closely managed to prevent burn-out etc due to not having a full end of season break.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
It's about preparation for our players, thats all that matters really.

I wont be going as I'm on holiday anyway. But in terms of team preparation playing a bottom half Premiership team is probably better than a foreign glamour name.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Alternatively we could treat it as a bit of a derby game against one of our south coast rivals, meaningless but an opportunity to secure some feel good factor. I'm sure they will bring a 1,000 or more up from darkest Hants and we could share some friendly ribbing and BANTER?

But no, that is far too uncool for our uber fashionistas.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The team I want to see is the Albion, can't understand the obsession with the opposition.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Very rarely go to pre-season friendlies anyway so I don't really give a stuff who we play. And besides that I'll be away on honeymoon that day anyway.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
18 days after the World Cup ends but the point I think bn1&bn3 Albion is trying to make is that the big name players that are involved with the World Cup are unlikely to be playing many pre-season friendlies as they will be given some time off straight after the world cup and will be closely managed to prevent burn-out etc due to not having a full end of season break.

What he said.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
£14 is a bloody rip off. We paid a crisp tenner for our FA cup game against Reading.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
It's a practice match to get both sets of players fit for the new season.

I shall go to as many of the 46 league matches but will not bother with this one. Instead of moaning, just save £14 and stay at home, like me!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here