Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League App/Seagull Player

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
About 2 weeks ago I wrote to the FL regarding issues we've had in Australia with the channel that has the rights for Championship matches, I also brought up the problems with the FL App.
Their reply was not very helpful with regards to the channel in question but they did say that a new format for the App is being looked in to.
This however maybe a case of them writting what you want to hear, as the club themselves seem to have no joy, may I suggest you complain here enquiries@football-league.co.uk if your not happy with what we've put up with over the last 2 seasons.
We as paying subscribes need this sorted out asap, I'm not sure any of us can stand yet another season of something that dosen't work as it should.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
About 2 weeks ago I wrote to the FL regarding issues we've had in Australia with the channel that has the rights for Championship matches, I also brought up the problems with the FL App.
Their reply was not very helpful with regards to the channel in question but they did say that a new format for the App is being looked in to.
This however maybe a case of them writting what you want to hear, as the club themselves seem to have no joy, may I suggest you complain here enquiries@football-league.co.uk if your not happy with what we've put up with over the last 2 seasons.
We as paying subscribes need this sorted out asap, I'm not sure any of us can stand yet another season of something that dosen't work as it should.

Individual complaints were fobbed off for years on end about Seagulls World/Player with an attitude that it was working ok when they tested it. Nobody took it on board that the system wasn't fit for purpose until Paul Barber got on the case. Player has improved due to a kick up the *rse so you would think the FL would pull their finger out with the app too.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Player did improved at the end of last season due to the kick up the arse the FA/PTV got from the club. Nevertheless, it was too late - I had already cancelled my subscription which ends in September. I doubt I'll renew, especially as shortened interviews and highlights now tend to appear on youtube.

Also, I was tired of being fobbed off whenever I complained - the issues were always with my computer (as were, apparently, everyone else's issues). To be honest, I don't want to give my money to a company with such a dismissive attitude to customer service.

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Player did improved at the end of last season due to the kick up the arse the FA got from the club. Nevertheless, it was too late - I had already cancelled my subscription which ends in September. I doubt I'll renew, especially as shortened interviews and highlights now tend to appear on youtube.

This.

Everything I previously watched on Player now appears on YouTube with no real delay. I can't necessarily see the value that Player is offering.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There is a myth on here that Seagulls player is all fine and well now. Well, that's utter bollocks.

Seagulls Player is better if you really want to sit at a laptop and desktop and listen to a game but seeing as it's 2014 I wouldn't mind listening on my phone seeing as I can watch Sky sports, BBC Iplayer or stream live radio from anywhere across the world (on a free app) you wouldn't think that was too hard. On Android, I couldn't stream ONE game via the app in the past season. I used 3 different devices (all Samsung mind) and none worked and all I got from the idiots was along the lines of 'We probably won't bother fixing it'

I cancelled the utter dog shit service. From a club perspective, it's not just my £35 odd subscription fee. I live in Warwickshire and more or less every game I go to is a hassle to get to. When you start losing interest because its annoying and difficult to listen to games you are not at, you care less and then travel less to the Amex or away games.

Seeing as nothing happened last year, the status quo will remain.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Pretty rubbish service for what it provides compared to a lot of other clubs. Examples, post game programme as a PDF, 90 minutes of previous game as well as highlights.

OK, it doesn't cost the earth but then it's the same price as the other clubs.

As for the quality of the footage, barring interviews, it's very sub standard.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just to add to the moanfest, leave the service and all you get is cheapo offers to come back. It is not about the money you useless bunch of halfwits, it is about the service. Why don't they at least attempt to survey fans to understand why people are leaving the service and not coming back ? I expect they just know best.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As others have said, price isn't the reason people are not renewing. It's the quality of content and the (lack of) customer service.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Player did improved at the end of last season due to the kick up the arse the FA/PTV got from the club. Nevertheless, it was too late - I had already cancelled my subscription which ends in September. I doubt I'll renew, especially as shortened interviews and highlights now tend to appear on youtube.

Also, I was tired of being fobbed off whenever I complained - the issues were always with my computer (as were, apparently, everyone else's issues). To be honest, I don't want to give my money to a company with such a dismissive attitude to customer service.

This is why complining to the FL and not Perform will get results, do you really think the FL are happy their product is being distributed in such a poor way, I can tell you their not. This is more about the App than Player on your PC.
We get the same bullshit from Setanta here as fans get from Perform, you just need to go higher up the chain to get some type of result, we only have 2 months to get answers and assurance that it's been sorted.

Last edited:

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
This.

Everything I previously watched on Player now appears on YouTube with no real delay. I can't necessarily see the value that Player is offering.

Nobody is really worried about Player anymore for video features, as we all know and as you point out it's all on You Tube. The commentary for those outside of Sussex is the reason fans still subscribe, that's why they still will, it's our only option no matter how poor.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
If you don't ask the FL about the App then you can expect the same next season, only writting to them with your complaints will give Perform the kick up the backside it needs.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There is a myth on here that Seagulls player is all fine and well now. Well, that's utter bollocks.

Seagulls Player is better if you really want to sit at a laptop and desktop and listen to a game but seeing as it's 2014 I wouldn't mind listening on my phone seeing as I can watch Sky sports, BBC Iplayer or stream live radio from anywhere across the world (on a free app.

What App do you use for Sky & iPlayer around the world?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Both the app and the Website are possibly the worst examples I have seen of each. The website looks like it was designed by a schoolboy and is almost totally unusable, especially from an iPhone or iPad.

If the providers contract is renewed it can only be for backhanders.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I might have known that NSC's most patronising poster would have pick me up on 'UK' instead of 'World'

I use Iplayer and Sky Go in the UK without any problems ever.

I can never use the FL player app because it hasn't worked all year. It used to be the case that you could log onto desktop mode in a browser on a mobile or tablet. That stopped working as well after Christmas.

The service is a complete shambles. I've given up with it.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Both the app and the Website are possibly the worst examples I have seen of each. The website looks like it was designed by a schoolboy and is almost totally unusable, especially from an iPhone or iPad.

If the providers contract is renewed it can only be for backhanders.

Perform are still contracted to do both, although I was informed that it was a close thing as the FL were looking at cancelling it, this may however still happen if they don't get their act together.
What we want as fans are assurances from the FL that we won't go through the same crap we have for the last 2 seasons, that's why the more emails they get the more they'll sit up and take note.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Perform are still contracted to do both, although I was informed that it was a close thing as the FL were looking at cancelling it, this may however still happen if they don't get their act together.
What we want as fans are assurances from the FL that we won't go through the same crap we have for the last 2 seasons, that's why the more emails they get the more they'll sit up and take note.

You are of course, right. The more complaints the better. I'll send another angry e-mail.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I might have known that NSC's most patronising poster would have pick me up on 'UK' instead of 'World'

I use Iplayer and Sky Go in the UK without any problems ever. .

Well thanks for the personality update. Anyway, I was mildly hopeful that there was an app out there to solve the geo issue, I travel a bit, and my brother's an ex-pat, and always looking for ways to connect to iPlayer, for a moment I thought you might have some sage advice. Nevermind eh?

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney

One of our members put me on to this http://www.getflix.com.au/ it's a small amount a month... its not a UK Ip address as such, it removes any geographic boundaries, I've yet to use it myself but he swears by it.

Meanwhile I've just got this email from The Football League

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your email which has been passed through to The League’s Head of Media for his information.

I can tell you that The League have been made aware of issues with live commentary throughout the 2013/14 season and this is being addressed with our app developers ahead of the new season.

At this stage I am unable to provide you with more information other than the issues raised during the season are being looked into and we apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Kind Regards

Amanda Craig

Customer Services Administrator

The Football League Limited

www.football-league.co.uk

So I suppose we'll just have to think they're on the case and something is being done about it, fingers crossed.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
One of our members put me on to this http://www.getflix.com.au/ it's a small amount a month... its not a UK Ip address as such, it removes any geographic boundaries, I've yet to use it myself but he swears by it.

Meanwhile I've just got this email from The Football League

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your email which has been passed through to The League’s Head of Media for his information.

I can tell you that The League have been made aware of issues with live commentary throughout the 2013/14 season and this is being addressed with our app developers ahead of the new season.

At this stage I am unable to provide you with more information other than the issues raised during the season are being looked into and we apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Kind Regards

Amanda Craig

Customer Services Administrator

The Football League Limited

www.football-league.co.uk

So I suppose we'll just have to think they're on the case and something is being done about it, fingers crossed.

That's very similar to the reply I received several months ago. Hardly reassuring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here