Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we fed up of the Scotland "it's all about me" in / out referendum.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
funnily i over heard a Scotman chatting on the train the other day, apparently they are sick of it and barely talk of it. Media and Westminister obsession.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think it's for us to decide.

That said, I cannot understand why such an important historical decision, with all its implications, is hinging on a 50+1. I would have thought a two to one majority could only regard the views of the public as in any way binding.

I fail to see how a country could claim a new constitutional status on the basis of potentially 49.9% of the population being in disagreement.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's wrong for them and for us. But if they want to go then go, and make sure that people with a Scottish birth certificate can't sit in an English parliament.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It they go it will mean that England will inherit the mantle of " Joke Club " when it comes to UK football....... Please stay !

kjgood

I would rather they stay as I believe we are stronger together. But if the Scots decide to break away then they completely break away, no use of Sterling, insert border controls, Visa's to live/work in England, Wales and Northern Ireland as Scotland probably wouldnt pass the tests to be a member of the EU, no Scottish MP's, no funding from Westminster etc etc. Cant have it both ways........................but I hope Scotland votes no to separation.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I don't think it's for us to decide.

That said, I cannot understand why such an important historical decision, with all its implications, is hinging on a 50+1. I would have thought a two to one majority could only regard the views of the public as in any way binding.

I fail to see how a country could claim a new constitutional status on the basis of potentially 49.9% of the population being in disagreement.

It's potentially more than 50% of the country being in disagreement. Depends on the turnout. Agree absolutely with what you say. It's a fundamental decision and should be based on a different vote proportion, though exactly what I am not sure. Same on a vote on us leaving Europe.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I would like a vote on whether England should gain independence from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Seems only fair.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I would like a vote on whether England should gain independence from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Seems only fair.

There is an argument funnily enough for us to have a say on whether Scotland leaves. The impact will be huge on us, not least the fact that the Tories might dominate for a generation afterwards and large swathes of Northern england will wish they were in Scotland.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
I hope they stay, and expect they will. I have no time for Alex Salmond - my wife's Scottish, we live in Birmingham, but she lived in Edinburgh her whole life until a couple of years ago and she can't vote in the referendum. Her family have been in Scotland for generations, but her parents are seriously considering leaving if the vote goes in favour of independence.

Sweetie

Apr 1, 2004
Pretty sure they will vote to stay and think it would be a disaster for them if they left. However, their choice and it they vote to go, then so be it. Labour must be bricking it mind.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
There is an argument funnily enough for us to have a say on whether Scotland leaves. The impact will be huge on us, not least the fact that the Tories might dominate for a generation afterwards and large swathes of Northern england will wish they were in Scotland.

That argument raises too many potential problems.

If the Scots voted to leave the Union and the rest of the Union said 'no' then essentially Scotland would become a colony - forced to stay in the Union against their will - simply not practical.

How many would accept an EU 'in/out' referendum where the rest of Europe could veto any decision for the UK to leave based on a vote held in the rest of the EU.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's all about the currency. Nobody knows exactly what currency will be used in an independent Scotland. I can't see that the rest of the UK would be willing to let them use Sterling - there is no upside for England, Wales and Northern Ireland but a big downside if Scotland fails economically.

Also, Scotland traditionally votes left of centre, and we all know how the Left likes to spend other people's money.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sat behind some Jocks at Wembley last Saturday and in between bouts struck up a conversation on the matter.

They reckoned it would be madness for the Scots to leave the Union, and thought the result of the vote would be around 65% to 35% in favour of staying.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm 45 and for almost all of my life a large proportion of the Scots have whinged about being ruled by Westminster whilst another large minority in the UK have whinged about being in Europe. With referendums on both issues coming up soon it will be nice to get the issue sorted once and for all, and move on.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's all about the currency. Nobody knows exactly what currency will be used in an independent Scotland. I can't see that the rest of the UK would be willing to let them use Sterling - there is no upside for England, Wales and Northern Ireland but a big downside if Scotland fails economically.

Also, Scotland traditionally votes left of centre, and we all know how the Left likes to spend other people's money.

The UK would not be able to stop the Scots from using sterling anymore than the US could stop them using the dollar.

Of course doing so would mean they'd have no control of interest rate policies or the like and it would be difficult for them to obtain international funding without their own currency.

As an interim measure though it is likely that an independent Scotland would continue to use Sterling, with or without the UK's agreement, until a new currency could be established - in the same way the US did after they gained Independence.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
That argument raises too many potential problems.

If the Scots voted to leave the Union and the rest of the Union said 'no' then essentially Scotland would become a colony - forced to stay in the Union against their will - simply not practical.

How many would accept an EU 'in/out' referendum where the rest of Europe could veto any decision for the UK to leave based on a vote held in the rest of the EU.

Agree. It certainly wouldn't be practical. Not legal either. Just raising the point than in principal there is something to be said that we should have some serious input on the basis of the impact it will have on us in the scottish case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here