Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy birthday "Born in the USA"

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Great album - when I bought "High Hopes" you got a DVD with it of him performing the whole album in order at the Olympic Park last Summer...must have been great to see, including his mother joining him on stage for Dancing In The Dark.

Mind you, the Wembley Stadium show where we got a full run-throught of Darkness On The Edge Of Town wasn't exactly to be sniffed at.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
My first Bruce concert, July 3rd 1985, absolutely blown away, been a fan ever since and have seen him over 35 times now.
My ex wife's uncle used to be a record dealer, and for christmas that year, she managed to get me a 5 LP bootleg of the whole Wembley concert,in a sleeve with proper artwork.
Over 3 hrs 15min, superb recording that came via the sound board, so sound is brilliant.
Played it that christmas day, recorded it on tapes the next day, and put it away, until I recorded it onto discs. In immaculate condition, my pride and joy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My first Bruce concert, July 3rd 1985, absolutely blown away, been a fan ever since and have seen him over 35 times now.
My ex wife's uncle used to be a record dealer, and for christmas that year, she managed to get me a 5 LP bootleg of the whole Wembley concert,in a sleeve with proper artwork.
Over 3 hrs 15min, superb recording that came via the sound board, so sound is brilliant.
Played it that christmas day, recorded it on tapes the next day, and put it away, until I recorded it onto discs. In immaculate condition, my pride and joy.

I was at one of the Wembley gigs. It was quite amazing. I remember the excitement of the anticipated live shows and then Harvey Goldsmith announcing the dates on tv, possibly The Whistle Test?

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand

any chance of a copy :) I was a 14 year old who ran away from home to watch that wembley concert like you was blown away.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seen him a few times and he rocks big time.

I suppose the ultimate irony was Ronald Reagan not realising the true meaning of the main track and adopting it for his Presidential campaign.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm currently listening to High Hopes and the version of Ghost of Tom Joad is awesome.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That's Born To Run, not Born In The USA....

Corrected. Born in the USA was more Springsteens height of popularity. Better songs to be had like The River and Waiting.

Great song, as has been mentioned you do really need to listen to the words. See also "We Take Care Of Our Own" off the latest album.

Have only seen him live once - Earls Court early '00's - awesome. He did "Born In The U.S.A. as the acoustic solo bluesy version.

For no particular reason I give you another of my faves of his covered by one of my favourite bands:-

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Interesting that the current issue of Mojo only places Born in the USA at 5 in a list of top Springsteen albums, with The River, Born to Run, Nebraska and Darkness on the Edge of Town higher.
Although whatever the order they're all good.

Have seen Bruce at few times live starting with the gig at the Brighton Centre on the river tour. On the downside now is that a Bruce gig seems to be a social event that needs to be ticked off, so when an relevantly obscure song is played a lot of the crowd start chatting, which really annoys me.

Pleased to see Bruce has been raiding the Clash songbook recently with London Calling and Clampdown.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Being, I suspect, younger than most on this thread, the first time I ever saw The Boss live was in Hyde Park in the Summer of 2012. I'd got there early to get the best possible view and had stood in place for over 8 hours through the support acts (including great sets from Tom Morello and John Fogerty) and everything the British weather could lob, from sunshine to downpours, by the time Bruce was due to play.

I have to admit, as blasphemous as it sounds even to me now, that I was just starting to doubt whether it was all going to be worth the wait. Then he did this, and by 30 seconds in I was well, truly and completely hooked. Any man who can hold 80,000 or so people in the palm of his hand with just his voice, a piano and a harmonica has to be something very special in my view:

[yt]pvfFuASYgfM[/yt]

The man and the band are incredible, and I intend to take every chance I possibly can to see them live.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Interesting that the current issue of Mojo only places Born in the USA at 5 in a list of top Springsteen albums, with The River, Born to Run, Nebraska and Darkness on the Edge of Town higher.
Although whatever the order they're all good.

Have seen Bruce at few times live starting with the gig at the Brighton Centre on the river tour. On the downside now is that a Bruce gig seems to be a social event that needs to be ticked off, so when an relevantly obscure song is played a lot of the crowd start chatting, which really annoys me.

Pleased to see Bruce has been raiding the Clash songbook recently with London Calling and Clampdown.

Bruce opened Hard Rock Calling at Hyde Park in 2009 with London Calling

Oops...just seen Frutos's post...great concert wasnt it

Mar 15, 2009
Brighton
My first Bruce concert as well, still my favorite gig for the atmosphere, barmy hot day,4hrs of power and that I landed up being on the record cover (BS pumping the air with his back turned on the Wembley crowd):clap:.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
My first Bruce concert as well, still my favorite gig for the atmosphere, barmy hot day,4hrs of power and that I landed up being on the record cover (BS pumping the air with his back turned on the Wembley crowd):clap:.

Dont know how you managed that, the concerts at Wembley were 3rd, 4th, and 6th of July 1985.
The album was released 30 years ago today

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Great album - when I bought "High Hopes" you got a DVD with it of him performing the whole album in order at the Olympic Park last Summer...must have been great to see, including his mother joining him on stage for Dancing In The Dark.

Mind you, the Wembley Stadium show where we got a full run-throught of Darkness On The Edge Of Town wasn't exactly to be sniffed at.

I was there, the first time I've seen Springsteen live and I was absolutely blown away. Only marred somewhat by the fact that I'd drunk so much sitting out in the sun during the day that I had to read the reviews in the paper the next day to remember what he'd played!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I was going to be on holiday in the July so I and a couple of mates went to St James' Park Newcastle to see him about a month before the London gigs. Since then I have seen him many many times across Europe and the USA and he just gets better and better. I've got a bootleg called "Honeymoon vol 1" of the Newcastle gig that I bought in Brighton. Can't wait until he comes back to Europe (hopefully next year)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here