Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton in top five most congested cities

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Everyone going through Brighton to get to the Amex for an interview.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Doesn’t surprise me. With the Central of the City only being accessible from 180 degrees we are going to have more traffic on the main arterial routes than say Coventry / Reading / Swindon which have routes in 360 degree access.

Edit: I didnt watch the video. I assume (hope) that #'s 1,2 and 3 on the list are not Coventry / Reading / Swindon otherwise my arguement is blown out the water!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I am in favour of boat-cars too.

In Dr Anthony Seldon's 2002 book Brave New City: Brighton & Hove, Past, Present & Future, he argues that with a certain amount of imagination, someone could set up a water-taxi business at sea from the Adur in the west to the Ouse in the east.

I guess you'd have to learn how to flatten the waves first, though.

He also suggests running the coast road underground, and building an integrated tram or monorail system capable of running overground and underground across the city. He'd have to do a bit more than look down the back of the sofa to fork out for that, mind.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It does not help that Brighton is the " rally hotspot " of the whole country. Every single weekend there is a rally of some description. Use your imagination and rally somewhere else for a change.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thought we would be higher than that.
Do you not travel much?

I think it's rubbish, personally. Most other cities in the UK are far worse in my opinion, from personal experience.

The number of times I've been stuck for HOURS in queues in London, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff, Bristol, etc. doesn't bear thinking about. The criteria used in this "survey" are very narrow.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's bad enough without the lane closure above the arches at the bottom of West Street. It took me over 40 mins to get from Hove Lawns to the otherside of the Palace Pier roundabout the other day during peak time. Would have been quicker driving up from the seafront, taking the bypass, and cutting back to the seafront instead sitting in gridlock for a mile journey.

This summer it will be even worse than any other summer for congestion.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
"Nobody goes there any more -- it's too crowded."
Yogi Berra

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
In Dr Anthony Seldon's 2002 book Brave New City: Brighton & Hove, Past, Present & Future, he argues that with a certain amount of imagination, someone could set up a water-taxi business at sea from the Adur in the west to the Ouse in the east.

I guess you'd have to learn how to flatten the waves first, though.

He also suggests running the coast road underground, and building an integrated tram or monorail system capable of running overground and underground across the city. He'd have to do a bit more than look down the back of the sofa to fork out for that, mind.

Original idea! Did he also suggest there could be a pub at the Adur end called The Ferry Inn to quench the thirst of passengers?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
A lack of central parking doesn't help as often there are long queues of traffic for these car parks which don't move very fast (waiting for spaces to become available) and have the knock on affect of tailing back into other roads which slows traffic there too. It could mean that traffic along the seafront can use 2 lanes instead of one and dispurse quicker, preventing congestion back to the pier roundabout and furtehr afield like past the level.

Maybe there should be another multi-storey and/ or underground car park or two built in the area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here