Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good old British Fish and Chips

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There seems to have been an absolute plethora of threads on here of late relating to fast food. We have pretty much run the complete gamut. Everything from burger and chips to curry, via Chinese, kebabs and pizza.

As much as l enjoy all of the above, l think my personal favourite just has to be the one and only, the original, the classic, British take away, which is fish and chips.

That said, if you are a fish and chips fan like me, what fish would you choose to order? For me it would be skate, deep fried in beer batter.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I like chip shops but don't eat fish so tend to have battered sausage or saveloys. Nit really an outstanding chip shop near me atm unfortunately so only have it a couple of times a year :(

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I like all fish but always go for cod from the chip shop

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think most people default to Cod. A light batter, and some very thick and unhealthy Tartar Sauce, make a perfect Friday fare.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Rock for me, if i can get it. It's too chavy for most places in Cambridge, so tend to have Haddock. What is good about Cambridge is that there is an award-winning chippy - The Sea Tree on Mill Road, which gets my custom about once every couple of months or so.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You can't beat a portion of grease smeared chips from Sing Li, open and covered in saw finger**

** unless you' have a very large stick. Then you can.

Why anyone would take a perfectly good bit of Fish, drench it in batter then Deep Fry it is beyond me.

That said, the smell of Fish and Chips is beautiful.

Battered sausage, chips and baked beans for me - the latter not applicable if being eaten out of the paper. The very bestest is from Marino's in Bexhill IMHO.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm simple - cod and chips, possibly a battered sausage (ooh err) if i fancy it. LOTs of vinegar, bleddy love the stuff.

Haven't found anywhere that stands out in Littlehampton for F&C. Any suggestions? My usual trek is to go to Fred's.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I had some Fish'n'chips at lunch. Not the type this thread is about, but the retro-tastic Burton foods Salt & vinegar flavour baked snack. £1 for a 5 bag multipack in Waitrose. :thumbsup:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Always haddock for me, tastier than cod, I think.

And probably a bit healthier, Haddock are primarily bottom feeders, whereas cod will feed anywhere and eat absolutely anything. That said, once anything has been coated in a thick batter and deep fried, the word 'healthy' pretty much disappears.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I had some Fish'n'chips at lunch. Not the type this thread is about, but the retro-tastic Burton foods Salt & vinegar flavour baked snack. £1 for a 5 bag multi[ack in Waitrose. :thumbsup:

Corned beef sarnie from M&S & a "baked snack" from Waitrose? Where did you get your glass of shampoo from? :wink:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Bardsleys on Baker Street , fantastic chippy.

I was so disappointed when I went there, after years of people telling me how good it was. The chips were chewy, not crispy and the fish was greasy, and I mean REALLY greasy... and not freshly cooked either I don't think.

The best I've had in Brighton (in fact, probably anywhere) were from Frydays on Upper Hollingdean Rd, closely followed by Bankers.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Haddock & Chips is my favourite, when I lived in Scotland the local fishermen would not touch Cod, they used it as bait forvthe creels.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here