Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pub Lewes-ish

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Parents coming over soon so and I'll have to take them out for lunch. I need a pub somewhere near Lewes perhaps close to the a27 between Polegate and Falmer or near the coast between Newhaven and Eastbourne. Must serve good food and interesting beer. Have taken them to The Snowdrop in Lewes and the Ram at Firle, which they like. Not interested in chains or pubs that serve London Pride as their only guest ale.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Lots of good pubs between Lewes and Polegate:

Giants Rest at Wilmington has choice of ales including local Long Man microbrewery, interesting food such as rabbit/bacon pie and tagine.
Rose Cottage at Alciston is more traditional, very good reputation for fish.
Cricketers at Berwick keeps excellent Harveys and a v nice garden.

All are 2 mins from A27. Worth booking first 2. I would recommend Giants Rest, has similar feel to Snowdrop, stripped tables etc.

Enjoy!

PG

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Lots of good pubs between Lewes and Polegate:

Giants Rest at Wilmington has choice of ales including local Long Man microbrewery, interesting food such as rabbit/bacon pie and tagine.
Rose Cottage at Alciston is more traditional, very good reputation for fish.
Cricketers at Berwick keeps excellent Harveys and a v nice garden.

All are 2 mins from A27. Worth booking first 2. I would recommend Giants Rest, has similar feel to Snowdrop, stripped tables etc.

Enjoy!

PG

Thanks, Giants Rest sounds good

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The Cricketers?? Just south of the a27 between Selmeston and Drusillas is a good real ale pub, lots of weird and wonderful stuff served out of barrels. Worth a look. I've only been once a couple of years ago. It should still be open.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
the swan in Lewes Great food and Armarda on draught !!
Also a good beer garden of good size about the only decent one in Lewes other wise id go to the cricketers too.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Parents coming over soon so and I'll have to take them out for lunch. I need a pub somewhere near Lewes perhaps close to the a27 between Polegate and Falmer or near the coast between Newhaven and Eastbourne. Must serve good food and interesting beer. Have taken them to The Snowdrop in Lewes and the Ram at Firle, which they like. Not interested in chains or pubs that serve London Pride as their only guest ale.

Would have been hard pushed to recommend a bad one in that area to be honest. I would just be a little wary of one or two that can be victims of their own popularity. For example I would probably avoid the Juggs in Kingston on a sunny Sunday afternoon in June.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The Old Oak Inn at Arlington is a nice place with good food, actual building dates from the 1600s.

The large garden they have is a good place to sit when the weather is nice, but it does get very busy.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The Plough at Upper Dicker is excellent, needs to be booked, but real ale and great food.
The Old Oak at Arlington is also very good.
Sussex Ox at Milton Street also.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I've always found the food to be good there.

Below from their website, not exactly a subjective view I would say.

HOMEMADE PIES & PUDDINGS
Your patience is appreciated during the busy times as all our food is cooked to order. All served with fresh vegetables & a choice of potatoes
(chips, roast, mash, new or saute)

BACON & ONION PUDDING
STEAK & KIDNEY PUDDING
STEAK & ALE PIE*
LAMB & MINT PIE*
CHICKEN & MUSHROOM PIE*
ALL £9.95

Please be aware as the homemade pies & puddings are homemade, on occasion bones have been found in them, apologies for this!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
No it really is not.

Got food related belly ache from their microwaved shop bought steak pie.
And the atmosphere is non existent

Avoid this place.

Complete rubbish

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Below from their website, not exactly a subjective view I would say.

HOMEMADE PIES & PUDDINGS
Your patience is appreciated during the busy times as all our food is cooked to order. All served with fresh vegetables & a choice of potatoes
(chips, roast, mash, new or saute)

BACON & ONION PUDDING
STEAK & KIDNEY PUDDING
STEAK & ALE PIE*
LAMB & MINT PIE*
CHICKEN & MUSHROOM PIE*
ALL £9.95

Please be aware as the homemade pies & puddings are homemade, on occasion bones have been found in them, apologies for this!

The food here is lovely. Most pubs i've been into for grub have disappointed me but not the Chalkpit

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here