Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward - suspect we might know soon

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Ward has apparently been allowed stay at home from the Ireland friendly tour of the US for 'contract talks' - but only for the first game on Friday; meant to be over there by Tuesday for the second game.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Same old, same old .... it comes down to money. If he wants too much, then we see what Chicksen has got.

I liked Ward, but signing him or not isn't a significant deal this summer for me, and I'm not keen on tying up too much of our budget before we have a manager to consult with about where the budget is getting spent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gut feeling is that he won't be signing for us. I've been impressed with what I've seen of Chicksen though so although I'll be sorry if Ward goes, it could be the making of Chicksen.

Can't see us agreeing to anywhere near the 12k he is on at the moment but there are clubs who'll pay that to him no problem so why would he choose a managerless club paying him less money?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
With the lack of news about Ankergren, Calderon and Bruno signing new deals, and Ward seemingly unlikely to sign, it's all getting a bit depressing now.

Without these 4, we need 11 new players, even if we don't sell Ulloa and Walton.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Same old, same old .... it comes down to money. If he wants too much, then we see what Chicksen has got.

I liked Ward, but signing him or not isn't a significant deal this summer for me, and I'm not keen on tying up too much of our budget before we have a manager to consult with about where the budget is getting spent.

I agree with all of this, and from the little we have seen of him, l do quite like Adam Chicksen. This could be a big season for him, and a chance for him to show what he can do, as perhaps a first team regular.

It's all very well waiting for a new manager to be appointed, but the problem is he will need to be appointed SOON, or the list of possible transfer targets will be much reduced, with players being snapped up by other clubs.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's all very well waiting for a new manager to be appointed, but the problem is he will need to be appointed SOON, or the list of possible transfer targets will be much reduced, with players being snapped up by other clubs.

Absolutely, and that's why we need to get a wiggle on. All the time we do not have a manager the choice is that we either miss out on targets, or sign people without the managers approval, and I don't like either of those options. There have been some perfectly good managers down the years who simply do not work well with some perfectly good players. They just don't match each others styles. When a manager comes in, they move them out .... just imagine if Juan Mata had been Chelsea's brand new expensive signing when Jose walked through the door. Ok, they could afford to make a mistake like that, but we can't afford a Championship version of that situation.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
With the lack of news about Ankergren, Calderon and Bruno signing new deals, and Ward seemingly unlikely to sign, it's all getting a bit depressing now.

Without these 4, we need 11 new players, even if we don't sell Ulloa and Walton.

I think they are waiting on the managerial appointment. Risky if the new manager appointed has other options in those positions which the Club agree with....

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm pretty much with you. Ward was excellent at Championship level and will continue to be for a while. Chicksen has been really promising. My view shifted slightly towards Ward at the moment we lost Upson, but money is the big option and I'd prefer that we really invested it in wide front players, which is where we really need bolstering at the moment. And maybe a centre-back too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Bruno and Ankergren may just have an offer in principal which will ultimately depend on whether the new manager wants them? That would seem the most logical way to do it to me and Calde and Capser can't make a final decision on their new contract until the manager is in place.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Chicksen looked comfortable against Blackpool when he was up against Tom Ince. He's good enough to be first choice at Championship level.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Chicksen may well have what it takes to be a championship fullback. But of the best, bar Burnely I think, championship back four last season we have currently still under contract Greer and Dunk who played a limited part. I would be disappointed if Ward did not sign and it would leave us looking for another player to add to the long list we already need.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm pretty much with you. Ward was excellent at Championship level and will continue to be for a while. Chicksen has been really promising. My view shifted slightly towards Ward at the moment we lost Upson, but money is the big option and I'd prefer that we really invested it in wide front players, which is where we really need bolstering at the moment. And maybe a centre-back too.

With KLL, March and Buckley still kicking around I'd think wide players is one of our lesser priorities at the minute (when compared to the goalkeeping/defensive situation).

Still, plenty of time for business to take place so no reason to worry just yet...would miss Ward though, bloody good player.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
Give Chicksen a go! And more youth players for that matter Dunk, JFC and March. Look what happened to Ince. Quality player can't fault him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here