Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Americans and 'Soccer'

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
The kid doing the interviewing is a arrogant so and so.

The two kids in the Real Madrid shirts are just fools although Torres does have a chance of winning the golden boot. He won the golden boot at the last Euros.

What I'd like to see is the hours and hours of footage they filmed of people getting their questions right so they could get 5 minutes of American's chatting shit about Soccerball.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
right I've watched 2 minutes of that and still haven't seen why it shows American's know nothing about football. There are American people in it who aren't into football who know little about it. Hardly makes them fools.

The presenter looks like he's on speed or something. Why does he keep looking at the camera as if they've said something outrageous? They haven't.

I used to lay into the yanks all the time for 'getting things wrong', stupid idiots, especially as I work amongst them a fair bit. But over the years, I've come to feel it's us that are the arrogant ones. I can't think of a single time I've been pulled up for words I use or for not liking NFL by our cousins from over

That said, met a few marines in that time who really really weren't that clever.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Can't be bothered to watch the link. Are you picking on the word? Soccer is the correct (historical, English) word. Football is a horrible internationalism.

wouldn't go that far. Surely it's just a nickname for Association Football? Just like Rugger for Rugby Football. Nothing wring with the word football.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The word was used quite a lot over here in the fifties and sixties.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
What a load of rubbish. The guy in the white even says he doesn't like 'soccer' but yet they keep asking questions.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Can't be bothered to watch the link. Are you picking on the word? Soccer is the correct (historical, English) word. Football is a horrible internationalism.

Surely "soccer" is just a nickname derived from the full and correct name of the game - Association Football?

Not sure, therefore, how you can describe the term "football" as a horrible internationalism.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Thank Christ American's aren't into "soccer" yet - if you think the beautiful game has been ruined by money, it's nothing compared to what it'll be like when the yanks get into it.

Quite.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thank Christ American's aren't into "soccer" yet - if you think the beautiful game has been ruined by money, it's nothing compared to what it'll be like when the yanks get into it.

In 1994 America hosted the World Cup. When the tv schedulers got around to planning their coverage they were horrified to find the matches were played in two halves of 45 minutes with no regular stoppages or " Time Outs " They tried to get FIFA to break the game down in to quarters in order to get advertising breaks in to the programme and when FIFA refused point blank they had to come up with the compromise of having small advertising logo's in the corner of the screen and the presenter regularly saying " This section of the game brought to you advertismant free by the makers of Snickers "......Hilario

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

25% of PL clubs are owned outright by an American or have a majority owner who is American. There are some aspects of the way that the big sports in the US are run that I would love to see in football here - salary caps and a draft system to name but two. If you want to properly address the parlous state of football's finances and also create a more level playing field in terms of which clubs win trophies, these two changes are, imo, the the best ways of doing so.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
The USA will ruin football so much. We need to keep them away from it. Franchises over there are awful and we should move towards the German model with fan ownership.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
There are some aspects of the way that the big sports in the US are run that I would love to see in football here - salary caps and a draft system to name but two.

They have salary caps because most are on obscene wages that would pay of the debts of most countries anyway, so dont need a cap.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Don't be stupid, it's the name of the sport. Whilst soccer is indeed an English word (not an Americanism as some think) it is just the nickname for 'Association Football' as rugger is for Rugby football. Same construction. In Britain the word was used more in the past when the media was all run by Oxbrige types (as it is a snobby name invented by the Public School boys who used to play it, hence it's dislike by more ordinary fans). Nowadays it's more used by countries with more than one code of 'football' to differentiate between the sports.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
one point....USA are going to be one of the best supported sides at this years World Cup

Exactly. It's no longer a question of "When the USA gets into soccer." The Seattle Sounders' average MLS attendance of 44,038 last season would have put them sixth in the Premier League, ahead of Chelsea, Sunderland, Everton, Aston Villa and Tottenham.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
25% of PL clubs are owned outright by an American or have a majority owner who is American. There are some aspects of the way that the big sports in the US are run that I would love to see in football here - salary caps and a draft system to name but two. If you want to properly address the parlous state of football's finances and also create a more level playing field in terms of which clubs win trophies, these two changes are, imo, the the best ways of doing so.

Surely a draft would only work if there's a MASSIVE overhaul of university football, with it becoming incredibly well supported? Which it won't, as the culture of supporting university sport to US levels just doesn't exist here (perhaps because we don't have student body's that are as large?)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here