Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welcome to Rio

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Last week all about the favelas, this week about the drug gangs and finishes next week I assume about the more fortunate residents.

BBC 2 tonight at 9.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Has there ever been a World Cup where there weren't TV programmes and newspaper articles just before, warning about how terrible and dangerous the host nation is?

I read an article in one of the papers a few months ago about the terrible violence that England fans can expect to be bestowed upon them by the Brazillian gangs of ultras. It had interviews with some of Brazil's most notorious hooligans, all who had the same chilling message: "There is sometimes trouble at club games in Brazil due to gang rivalries but we have no problem with England fans at all and they are very welcome here for the World Cup". The interviewer tried to stir things up by asking things like "What if they start smashing the place up and attacking you, what will you do then?" and got a "Well we wouldn't stand there and let that happen", which the paper then tried to spin to make it sound like England fans would be facing gang attacks from hundreds of ultras the second they got off the plane. I'm surprised the paper bothered publishing the article in the end, they didn't get what they were looking for at all.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Has there ever been a World Cup where there weren't TV programmes and newspaper articles just before, warning about how terrible and dangerous the host nation is?

I read an article in one of the papers a few months ago about the terrible violence that England fans can expect to be bestowed upon them by the Brazillian gangs of ultras. It had interviews with some of Brazil's most notorious hooligans, all who had the same chilling message: "There is sometimes trouble at club games in Brazil due to gang rivalries but we have no problem with England fans at all and they are very welcome here for the World Cup". The interviewer tried to stir things up by asking things like "What if they start smashing the place up and attacking you, what will you do then?" and got a "Well we wouldn't stand there and let that happen", which the paper then tried to spin to make it sound like England fans would be facing gang attacks from hundreds of ultras the second they got off the plane. I'm surprised the paper bothered publishing the article in the end, they didn't get what they were looking for at all.
a mate of mine lives in Rio, even in the favelas you will get left alone most of the time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Been to a Favela, admittedly on a 'tour' but it was fine. People were pretty normal, frankly, mostly just trying to make a living.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I have lots of friends who are members of various torcidas in Sao Paulo, such as the Gaviaos, Independente and the Dragoes. There will be trouble but it will be aimed at any supporters for financial gain. Itaquera where the new stadium is half built is in East Sao Paulo and is one of the most dangerous places in the city. If you do go be very careful and remember the police are as bad, if not worse than the bad guys. If anyone is going, and wants some tips PM me as I know the city and the clubs well.
Football violence in Brazil is not a joke, it is very real and makes what we participated in during the 70's and the usual DR drivel we see on here nothing in comparison.

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
It's a really ****ed up country. The stuff that goes on there every day would be headline news in the UK for weeks... but then again, the same could have been said about S. Africa.

They shoot street kids as well.. I was rather surprised when they won.. There will be trouble for sure so take care all you heading out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here