Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I Don't Like That Name....

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Over the last couple of years I have found out that four people that I know use a name different from their birth name.
I.e George's birth name is William but is known as George. These are not nicknames or have even been changed by deed poll, they just prefer their name of choice and all of them have kept their original names on any official paperwork. Is this quite common or is it luck that I know four such people?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I use a name different to my birth name. All my paperwork refers to my real name, but I've been called Baz for over 25 years. It derived from a TV programme and has stuck.

I still get a little confused when people refer to me by my Christian name.

The husband of my class teacher is known by a different name to his forename. I can't think of anyone else.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pretty sure my grandpa was known by his middle name as he didn't like his first name.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As is one of my team at work, though for different reasons.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
My partners family are full of it, it's really weird. She was named Ann but is called Pippa (from middle name), her mums Sylvia but known as Sam to some (but not all), Aunt was Brenda but known as Julie to friends (made for a strange funeral) and her dad was named Donald but known to all as Mike. There are probably others in the clan too. What a strange lot.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I use a name different to my birth name. All my paperwork refers to my real name, but I've been called Baz for over 25 years. It derived from a TV programme and has stuck.

I still get a little confused when people refer to me by my Christian name.

The husband of my class teacher is known by a different name to his forename. I can't think of anyone else.

Cheers. It's not as though any of the guys I know were given ridiculous forenames, they are all very common names but just do not like using them.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
My partners family are full of it, it's really weird. She was named Ann but is called Pippa (from middle name), her mums Sylvia but known as Sam to some (but not all), Aunt was Brenda but known as Julie to friends (made for a strange funeral) and her dad was named Donald but known to all as Mike. There are probably others in the clan too. What a strange lot.

Wow. Totally out done me there.:lolol:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Probably more common in my family than not. Most are dropping a first and using a middle name but my grandmother uses an entirely different one for reasons best known to herself.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My brother has always been known by his middle name, never his given first name. I don't think my parents ever said the first and surnames together till too late. He suits his middle name better too. My grandma was known as "peg" to everyone, so much so I'm struggling to remember what her real name was.

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
i was always known by my middle name, due to the fact that neither parent liked my given name (why give it to me then!!!), but i have been called by my nickname for nearly 30 years, to the extent that my parents used to write it in the cards that they sent.
On occasion in the last few years i've run into incidents with bank account names & cardholder names because sometimes i've received cheques etc with my given initial or, middle or…both!!
I actually don't know if i'm a complex character or just confused:shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know a girl who was Karen at school, then when she went off to Uni she simply deceived on a new name - Eve. Much confusion when she came home in the summer and her mates from college visited.

A guy at work uses his middle name Clint (Christ knows why you would!) but is actually called Andrew. We've had a couple of real hassles over the years where new admin staff have booked him flights, etc as Clint.

My mother in law is actually Cathleen, but has been known for 60 years as Jo (short for her confirmation name, of Joseph).

All a bit ODD if you ask me.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
My dad used his second name for most of his life as he hated his original first name. On a slightly different subject, I played football with a fella, let's call him 'Tall John', for about a decade. His next door neighbour then joined us. One week when 'Tall John' was away the new guy asked: "why do you call him John?". To which the entire team answered: "that's his name". His reply: "no it's not, his names Bill". It appeared that he had been too polite at the beginning to correct people and then just accepted the change of name for the next ten years.....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I use my middle name, so do two of my friends and both my grandfathers did too. It's not all that rare, it's particularly common among politicians: Gordon Brown, Boris Johnson, Harold Macmillan and Ramsay McDonald to name just four. And Paddy Ashdown and George Osborne don't use their given names at all

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
An ex-colleague is named Thomas but, for some unknown reason, is known as Guy.

He called his son Thomas...

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
My uncle is known to all by his middle name, not sure why but I think he just didn't like his first name.
An ex was a hairdresser, when she first started there was already a girl with same name and to avoid confusion with bookings etc she had to pick another name. This got very confusing on nights out as there were three girls with same (real) name but all known as something different.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
i use a different name. It also helps confuse back stabbers.

I know loads of people like this for prob just as many reasons, some understandable and some a bit odd.

BOF's real name is Boring.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I suspect a lot of this was down to the tradition of naming a child after the father or grandfather and you would end up with several generations, possibly living in the same house with the same first name. It could well be that that tradition carried on in that family and to avoid everyday confusion, one or more was referred to by another name (such as their middle name)

Of course it could also be down to other reasons like a nickname that stuck and so on....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here