Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you rented a room (homestay) to a foreign student?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just considering renting a room to a foreign student, and wondered if any of you have experience with it?

If so, which colleges have you tried, has it been good, how much have they paid, and what have you had to do (breakfast, evening meal, etc)?

Thanks

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
The schools don't pay much so keep it simple. They are usually out all day so it's just porridge for brekkie, Lidl crisps and tap water for a packed lunch and then pasta & ketchup for dinner.
Candles out at 9, one hose down a week.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Yes mate, done it for about 10 years through Sussex Downs College in Lewes.

We usually have Japanese girls (we prefer girls as we have a 16 year old daughter and don't want hormonal blokes around) The Japs are brilliant and are usually with us for nearly 11 months. They have a room, wireless internet and half board accommodation which is bed, breakfast and main meal. e also do their washing for them. For £110 a week, it's easy cash and ive kept in touch with a lot of my old students. You hardly see them as they study so hard, they're polite, nice kids.

However, our last Jap left a bit early so we decided to take an Austrian boy...18 years old. He's a fantastic lad but very Germanic (arrogant) and not worried about asking for things....being taken to Heathrow at 3 am, my beers, taking a bird up to his room and letting them stay the night etc etc.

You do get the odd dodgy one, not much you can really do about it really

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes mate, done it for about 10 years through Sussex Downs College in Lewes.
Thanks for all the info. Is that for a room with shared bathroom, or with an en-suite? £110 seems like a decent rate, but that's a different town.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Shared bathroom. You'd need to create rules. We all prefer to use the shower in the morning so the student either uses it in the evening or after we've finished.

We had a Chinese lad once, he was fantastic and we've had a couple of short term Spanish girls, they were a nightmare as they like to party and go out at about 11pm !!!!!

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Had one who was with us two weeks, and in that time she had a different relative with a 'major birthday' who she insisted on having to call every night. The phone bill was huuuuge.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Yeah, we had to be CRB checked as well as getting both electric and gas safety checks.

To be honest, it is easy money but can be a pain in the arse at times....if you're out enjoying a few beers with friends, you have to get back to cook them dinner. You can leave them a dinner and show them how to use the microwave but if it's a spur of the moment thing, you'll need to go back and cook them something.

Dec 29, 2011
So do you have students stay? If so, which college, and what do you provide, and how much are you paid etc? Thanks

Currently privately renting (the colleges give our name to students who contact + pay us directly) although considering going straight through the school as it's less hassle (they pay directly and sort out any problems with students). As jevs said needed gas + electricity checked, but no CRB as privately renting. Once we go through the school the family will need CRB checks.

Average rate is about £100/week, between £95-£105 in most cases. We don't provide them with any food, they buy and make all their own meals, but we do let them use butter/milk etc as there is no point in having loads of bottle laying about.

Had 3 students for about a year and they've all been very polite and quiet and I rarely notice them. If we get two spare bedrooms I'd considering renting to 2 students for £800/month but not looking into that yet. Highly recommend it though, £400/month for almost no work is a no brainer.

woody12a

Nov 9, 2006
Looking at taking a couple of students ourselves now, in our spare room, any other feedback for colleges etc would be great ..... so are we looking at £100 per week, per student ?? so two in a room would be £800 p/month ??

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looking at taking a couple of students ourselves now, in our spare room, any other feedback for colleges etc would be great ..... so are we looking at £100 per week, per student ?? so two in a room would be £800 p/month ??
Phone around. If your home is anything better than a slum, I'd suggest avoiding EF language school. For a room for one student they're offering to pay £10.50 per night, including breakfast, evening meal, and lunch as well at weekends. Unbelievable.

Other places offer much more reasonable rates. £100 is probably right for half board sharing, maybe £115 to £125 for a single room.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Yeah why not...but i don't think you'd get away with it

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
My ex mother in law used to take them. Agree with the poster who recommended Japanese girls..so polite and just so damned HELPFUL. She did have a Spanish boy who was a total psycho though. I had to chuck him out for her in the end. Nasty bloke.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It seems to be quite a decent money-making scheme for those that need to prop-up their income and don't mind sharing their home. Quite eye-opening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here