Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many World cup games & stories?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Travelled a lot to watch England and know a few on here do , but how many actual World cup games have you attended to watch England and memories that you have taken with you.

for me its FOUR.

1998 England 2 V 0 Tunisia in Marseille, France
A game more remembered for me for the off field antics that weekend than the actual game itself. 20 of us travelled down to Marseille on the Eurostar, one of them being the infamous 'Pig of Marseille' Went to watch the Radio 1 roadshow in the morning on the Saturday/ Sunday? then on the way back you could see the Port full of smoke. Full blown riot in swing by the time we got back! Took shelter in a bar just along from the main action.
At night went out and we just had to keep running from bar to bar as the locals were out in force, looking for England fans. On the night after the game , we went out for a meal because too much trouble around the town, and on the table next to us was Andy Gray and Martin Tyler. Andy Gray is up his own arse i can tell you.

2002 Argentina 0 V 1 England in Sapporo Japan.
Stayed in a hotel in Sapporo that didn' t have beds, just a mattress on the floor with a blanket over it. There was also, what looked like a cat litter by the door.............ODD. Also remember going into a Mcdonalds and having a burger, but the bun was not bread but RICE.....WTF.
Great result, get in there Beckham.

2006 England 1 V 0 Paraguay in Frankfurt Germany
Didn't get tickets through the England members club so had to buy off Ebay, bought 4 Tickets for €1200 from someone in Belgium. Great time in Germany down by the river and remember all the food being 'sausage' based! After the game went back to the hotel and stayed up until the early hours drink Jaegermeister with some Mexicans. I was so pissed i swapped shirts with one of them,he was well chuffed but could only hold out for about half hour. I had to ask for my England shirt back as his STUNK! Gave him my ticket stub as consolation. I collect ticket stubs as well so if anyone has a ticket stub for this game i will buy.
Early flight in the morning so still pissed, and could hardly walk so jumped on a bike at the airport that was just there. Got collared by the old airport old bill as was theirs. Got back home and put my shorts in the wash with my passport in .... Doh! had to quickly apply for another one for later on in the tournament.

2006 England 0 V 0 Portugal (Lost on pens) in Gelsenkirchen Germany
Flew out of Stanstead for this and remember Alan Davies being on our flight, miserable git....
Again no tickets. Remember coming out of Gelsenkirchen and hundreds of England fans waiting about, all for the same reasons. Manage to get a ticket but in the Portuguese section. Also remember at the ground a German girl with a sign saying "will give head for tickets" nice.
Shit game, usual result.

Over to you.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here