Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup FEVER

Greatest World Cup to date

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll be honest - it's taken a while to grip me, but it's taken hold now. I ruddy LOVE the World Cup and probably always will*. So which do you think has been the BEST World Cup since the 70s?

I think it has to be one of these:

1970 (Mexico) - arguably the best ever side for it's time (Pele and co)
1982 (Spain) - expansion to 24 teams, England unbeaten and Robson 24 seconds v France, Paolo Rossi for Italy v Brazil, W Germany v France semi, iconic Tardelli goal in the final
1986 (Mexico) - the Maradona tournament, Negrete's goal v Bulgaria, some great games and goals
1990 (Italy) - England semi, Baggio
1994 (USA) - record crowds but no British team
1998 (France) - expansion to current 32 teams, Ronaldo, Zidane, Dennis Bergkamp v Argentina
2002 (Jap/SK) - first time outside of the Americas or Europe, big crowds, S Korea to the semis, Beckham redemption v Argentina
2006 (Germany) - hordes of English and a refreshing lack of trouble

*except if it's ever held in Qatar when it will be gash.

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
1990 - World in Motion, Gazza's tears, Lineker pooing his pants, David Platt's goal against Belgium, Pavarotti, Roger Milla, riots in Brighton.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
THATS MORE LIKE IT! It's the WORLD CUP in BRAZIL. THIS is why we all fell in love with footy as kids.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
1990 - World in Motion, Gazza's tears, Lineker pooing his pants, David Platt's goal against Belgium, Pavarotti, Roger Milla, riots in Brighton.
I think our judgement is clouded with regard to Italia 90 because we got to the semis. In reality we saw some of the dullest football ever witnessed at a World Cup, which meant the back pass rule was introduced in 1992.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
For sheer emotion it has to be 1990, simply unforgettable, the transformation of England throughout the tournament was remarkable.

However for the quality of football I think I'd plump for Mexico 86.

My indifference to this world cup has melted away and officially now have the FEVER!!

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
1990 did also mark the start of the breakthrough of African football with Cameroon upsetting the Argies and then kicking lumps out of us.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think our judgement is clouded with regard to Italia 90 because we got to the semis. In reality we saw some of the dullest football ever witnessed at a World Cup, which meant the back pass rule was introduced in 1992.

1990 had 2.21 goals per match, the lowest of any world cup finals. Closely followed by South Africa in 2010 with 2.27 goals per match, the worst world cup finals I've ever watched.

The most was 1954 at 5.38 goals per game.

Despite the back pass rule, after 1990 being bottom followed by 2010, the next ones were 2006 at 2.3 goals per game, 2002 at 2.52 goals per game.

Not that you can measure entertainment just by goals. My favourite is still 1990. The stadia, the opera, the glamour of Italy, Schillaci, Millar, Lineker, penalties, tears. Amazing despite some very dull football.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
With every passing year, there appear to be more and more groups of DEATH. This year,

Group B:
Spain (winners last time)
Netherlands (finalists last time - ridiculous)
Chile (far too good for England last year)
Australia (a bit average but I'd never bet against the Aussies in any sport)

Group D
Italy (4 times winners)
Uruguay (2 times winners)
England (1 time winner)
Costa Rica (far better than Mexico in qualifying)

Group G
Germany (renowned power house and 3 times former winners)
Portugal (includes maybe best player in the world)
Ghana (best team in Africa)
USA (best team in Concacaf)

There are a couple of weakish groups too, but the world just gets better and more evenly matched with every passing tournament.

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton

Quite true, but clouded by first year at uni post exam 80p pints and general debauched behaviour. Footballwise, yep probably France '98 org Brazil 1970, though I was only 3 months old...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Totally agree, in fact I'd say it was the worst World Cup and I can't believe it's got so many votes. As you say it's probably down to England getting to the semi's - although they hardly marched triumphantly there (remember the game against Ireland?) and of course our yobs rioted in Rimini.

Given my age it has to be Mexico 1970. None of the others even come close. The greatest-ever World Cup won by the greatest-ever team. Plus the England team weren't that shabby either and the group game against Brazil gave us two of the most iconic moments in English football - the tackle by Moore and Banks's save from Pele. And yes, we lost to the Germans - but at least it wasn't on bloody penalties.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Tricky.

Like most, I ruddy LOVE The World Cup. As a child, I was absolutely captivated by the 1970 tournament and vividly remember a lot of the games, especially England's, obviously. It also produced my favourite World Cup goal EVER, Carlos Alberto in the final.

As I got older, what I wanted from the World Cup changed. 1990 was brilliant because I watched a lot of the games in the Pub, which brings it's own set of memories. My brother got married on the day we played Holland and we had the surreal sight of the main hall full of women, dancing, while the side bar area was full of MEN, watching the football and singing World in Motion. It was brilliant.

On balance, I'm going for 1990

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
There is something about watching a world cup away from home.
I was Greek island hopping during Italia 90 watching the games in the bars with loads of English and fans of many of the other countries all good natured and great fun.
So thats my favourite.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
1990 was my first World Cup that I remember. It really epitomises the World Cup for me. It had so much romance.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
In my lifetime there has only been 4 world cups and I only have clear memories of two of them so it's a straight fight between Germany and South Africa.

Germany: 'That' goal by Joe Cole, The Battle of Nuremberg, Beckham's last tournament, Zidane's magic, Zidane's head-butt etc

SA: Vuvuzelas.....

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Surely 1974 should of been an option ?The total Football of Cruyff,Neeskens,Rep and co sweeping everything before them away until they met The West Germans .Plus Scotland going unbeaten and still coming home 1st round.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'd love to agree with this. 1990 was great for all these reasons and I can't say I noticed the dull football at the time. However there's only one World Cup where I remember football moments from so many games and that's 82. Robson's goal against the French, the dirty Germans stitching up Algeria, the best Brazil team I have ever seen (too young for 1970), that hideous foul by the German keeper (Schumaker?) on Battiston (I think) where he stayed on the pitch despite maiming the guy, Tardelli going mental and a goalkeeper lifting the cup. It had everything and cemented my love of football every bit as much as trips to The Goldstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here