Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Punk not as important as former punk thinks

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Only a handful of 50 year old men who were there at the time like punk.

Everyone else thinks its shite.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I did my dissertation on punks influence on society. Many people would beg to differ that it only affected men in their 50s

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Only a handful of 50 year old men who were there at the time like punk.

Everyone else thinks its shite.

All Punk is shite??

Thrash punk, like Discharge ?
pop punk, like The Buzzcocks?
Raucous punk, like the Damned?
123 Punk, Like the Ramones ?
Terrace Punk , Like Sham 69
Political punk , Like Crass ?
Acoustic punk like, Patrick Fitzgerald ?
Punk poetry , Like John Copper Clark or Brighton own Attila ?
Folk Punk like Brighton's own POG?

Its all Crap ????

I think Punk was more of a attitude than the music TBH and cant really be rolled into one bold statement like "All punk is Shite"

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
There will now be a review of who is the most punk, and who has the most punk knowledge.
From a laymans point of view, thought it was crap then, and think its crap now, confirming my first impression.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There will now be a review of who is the most punk, and who has the most punk knowledge.
From a laymans point of view, thought it was crap then, and think its crap now, confirming my first impression.

I'm surprised. You don't think much of Don Letts then?

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Don't start me off - there was a vote on the BBC a couple of years ago about which decade had the most influentail music. Each decade had a champion, I cannot remember who it was for the 70s, but according to him nothing happened, musically, in the 1970s until 1976 and the advent of punk - now you might not like glam, prog, Bowie, Zeppelin etc, but to ignore their exitance totally.....what is it about punk afficionardoes?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not at all Buzzer....i never really got into the crossover stuff when the punk thing was going on...we used to get a lot of punks in the parties, but we didnt really specifically cater for them in any way... Don Lets isnt the sort of producer/artist that would be on our type of soundsystem anyway..we tended towards more traditional J.A. soundsystem style...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When a genre's motto/slogan is about how it's HONESTLY not dead, it's gonna be a bit shit.

Anyone notice how classical music fans don't feel the need to constantly justify their music's existence?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not at all Buzzer....i never really got into the crossover stuff when the punk thing was going on...we used to get a lot of punks in the parties, but we didnt really specifically cater for them in any way... Don Lets isnt the sort of producer/artist that would be on our type of soundsystem anyway..we tended towards more traditional J.A. soundsystem style...

Fair enough. He also did pop - he directed the video to Pass the Dutchie!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

When I view punk, I tend to slice off pieces for convenience.

Out goes the whole punk was invented in New York thing, because anything that happened there was just uninspiring.
Out goes anything that Malcolm Mclaren ever said, and anything that Vivienne Westwood ever designed.
Then things run for a bit until - out goes Gary Bushell and Oi
Finally out goes pop punk - except if there is nothing on TV and I am really bored, I will just leave one of those top 100 pop punk countdown things running. Mindless, harmless and mildly amusing. I don't think I have ever bought anything by any of these bands, but I guess guilty as charged.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here