Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the worst World Cup scandal of all time?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Saw a very interesting documentary last night on French TV about the history of World Cup finals with regard to the scandalous side of the beautiful game.

For me, the very worst was the unpunished Schumacher foul on Battiston. The documentary had interviews with Alain Giresse and Michel Hidalgo, the French manager, which showed the referee in an even worse light.

What for you are the worst scandals in the history of the World Cup?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
"Mick, you're a liar... you're a fu&*ing w@nker. I didn't rate you as a player, I don't rate you as a manager, and I don't rate you as a person. You're a fu&*ing w@nker and you can stick your World Cup up your @rse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your bollocks."

If Roy did say this, I still don't see how it is physically possible

This.

1a1990wc4.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
1982. West Germany and Austria settling for 1-0 and tapping the ball around for 80 minutes to keep Algeria out

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Saw a very interesting documentary last night on French TV about the history of World Cup finals with regard to the scandalous side of the beautiful game.

For me, the very worst was the unpunished Schumacher foul on Battiston. The documentary had interviews with Alain Giresse and Michel Hidalgo, the French manager, which showed the referee in an even worse light.

What for you are the worst scandals in the history of the World Cup?

I agree entirely. That was about the best football match I have ever watched, and probably for all the wrong reasons. I wanted France to win anyway, and got far more involved in that than I usually do in any England match."

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Argentina 6 Peru 0 1978 .

This. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but didn't a shed load of money find it's way to Peru from Argentina after/before this result? And didn't it enable Argentina to qualify for the next phase when they would of been going out?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but didn't a shed load of money find it's way to Peru from Argentina after/before this result? And didn't it enable Argentina to qualify for the next phase when they would of been going out?

Osvaldo Ardiles and Ricardo Villa were talking at the Hay Festival last week about this.

They said that what bribery there was certainly didn't come from inside the dressing room. They acknowledged later that there was stuff going on but, as Ardiles pointed out, Argentina had a military junta capable of doing anything. The money could have come from the Argentinian FA, the government, the military...

Ricardo Villa, whose integrity I would trust (re: the Falklands - I'm paraphrasing here - "A terrible time for me, my family, and two lovely countries. Please - no more guns. No more killing..."), said that Argentina knew that they had to win by four goals, and the dressing room before the game was very tense, very nervous. And, as Ardiles pointed out, Peru hit the post in the first five minutes. "If that had gone in..."

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Osvaldo Ardiles and Ricardo Villa were talking at the Hay Festival last week about this.

They said that what bribery there was certainly didn't come from inside the dressing room. They acknowledged later that there was stuff going on but, as Ardiles pointed out, Argentina had a military junta capable of doing anything. The money could have come from the Argentinian FA, the government, the military...

Ricardo Villa, whose integrity I would trust (re: the Falklands - I'm paraphrasing here - "A terrible time for me, my family, and two lovely countries. Please - no more guns. No more killing..."), said that Argentina knew that they had to win by four goals, and the dressing room before the game was very tense, very nervous. And, as Ardiles pointed out, Peru hit the post in the first five minutes. "If that had gone in..."

Cheers.

I never meant to question the integrity of any Argie players, I'm sure I heard in the past that it was the junta that did the paying off. Just wasn't sure of the whole story.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Cheers.

I never meant to question the integrity of any Argie players, I'm sure I heard in the past that it was the junta that did the paying off. Just wasn't sure of the whole story.

On the programme I watched last night, it was alleged that the Junta did indeed pay off part of the Peruvian national debt.

I think they may well have spent a bit more money on some of the referees - there were some appalling decisions against Hungary and France in the group games. Didn't they also get the referee changed for the final?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here