Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite World Cup?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
don't remember '66 or '70 come to that,mine is Italia 90,pavorotti and all that,apart from the final,Argentina we're woeful,they actually only won 2 games in the whole tournament,very lucky to make the finals

other highlights

Cameroon beating Argentina some of the tackles by the Cameroon team we're nothing short of assault

our Q-F against them,thought we we're out

Costa Rica beating Scotland

David Platt's last minute winner against Belguim

Rijkaard & Voller's spat,if you pardon the pun

the semi-final against West Germany still lingers long in the memory

Gazza was the best player in the world at that time

Still the greatest show on earth,a month of watching the best players in the world,can't wait!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Italia '90 for me as well.

Watched the Cameroon v Argentina in the Hotel bar whilst on my honeymoon and to be fair it was the best chance we ever had since '66 of winning, we played superbly but for a lucky deflection of Paul Parker which to this day I think Shilton cocked up by being too far of his line.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
1982. My first World Cup panini sticker book, the 30 second Robson goal, match fixing, battiston vs Schumacher, plucky Northern Ireland and all those Brazil goals being outdone by David Narey

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
For me 1994 when we weren't there. Romaina Argentina is my gretaest moment in world cup history. Slide rule pass from Hagi to Dumitrescu. What a tournament. Great stat for you too here. The only tournament where the only nil nil draw was the final. Take that home and smoke it. USAs first tournament, it was magnificent and yes, we weren't there.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
For me 1994 when we weren't there. Romaina Argentina is my gretaest moment in world cup history. Slide rule pass from Hagi to Dumitrescu. What a tournament. Great stat for you too here. The only tournament where the only nil nil draw was the final. Take that home and smoke it. USAs first tournament, it was magnificent and yes, we weren't there.

I was dreading that tournament but really enjoyed it. Goal fest

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Not my favourite tournament, but certainly one of my favourite World Cup goals:

[yt]FxDNewTtlXU[/yt]

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Germany 2006. Best time of my life. So well organised too.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Italia 90 was largely boring bar the England excitement and the final was DIRE. If you liked that tournament but have not read one night in Turin/all played out by peter Davies, you absolutely must. DVD is great too

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
1990 was not a good tournament. Never mind the bad mullets, the gobbing, the Klinsmann diving, and England making hard work of a relatively easy progression (won one match in 90 minutes - against Egypt), some of the football was just turgid.

Video rental shop sketch:
"How about this, Sir? One and a half hours of shocking violence, dreadful over-acting and a thoroughly predictable ending..."
"Chuck Norris' latest...?"
"Nah, the 1990 World Cup Final..."

I've got to say 1982 had some magical moments - Northern Ireland beating Spain, England's 27-second goal against a VERY good France side, the Kutwaiti walk-off, the bent stitch-up between West Germany and Austria, Keegan's fluffed header, Schumaker on Battiston, and arguably one of the most exciting games in the World Cup ever - Italy v Brazil in Barcelona.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Mexico 86 for me. The first one I remember, and some great matches. Plus of course, the quarter final.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
1982. My first World Cup panini sticker book, the 30 second Robson goal, match fixing, battiston vs Schumacher, plucky Northern Ireland and all those Brazil goals being outdone by David Narey

Rossi hat-trick against Brazil was a great game of football

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
1990 was not a good tournament. Never mind the bad mullets, the gobbing, the Klinsmann diving, and England making hard work of a relatively easy progression, some of the football was just turgid.

Video rental shop sketch:
"How about this, Sir? One and a half hours of shocking violence, dreadful over-acting and a thoroughly predictable ending..."
"Chuck Norris' latest...?"
"Nah, the 1990 World Cup Final..."

I've got to say 1982 had some magical moments - Northern Ireland beating Spain, England's 27-second goal against a VERY good France side, the Kutwaiti walk-off, the bent stitch-up between West Germany and Austria, Keegan's fluffed header, Schumaker on Battiston, and arguably one of the most exciting games in the World Cup ever - Italy v Brazil in Barcelona.

Paulo Rossi and Dino Zoff. Amazing Italian side. The semis were amazing too.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1962...Group game...Italy v Chile.
If you've never seen it, treat yourself. Two sending-offs, a broken nose and a welter of violence doesn't do justice to the most disgusting game of football ever played. The mood was set by two Italian journalists sending home disparaging articles about Chile which raised local hostility to fever pitch.
From the first whistle the Chileans were spitting in the faces of the Italians. The Italians retaliated and all hell broke loose. A savage left hook, shown around the world, flattened an Italian,breaking his nose but incredibly, the perpetrator got away with it. To make matters worse, two Italians were then sent off for retaliation.
The game was a series of running battles and the English referee, Ken Aston, lost complete control. If you can find David Coleman's commentary, enjoy.
I assure you that you will never have seen anything like this.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
1962...Group game...Italy v Chile.
If you've never seen it, treat yourself. Two sending-offs, a broken nose and a welter of violence doesn't do justice to the most disgusting game of football ever played. The mood was set by two Italian journalists sending home disparaging articles about Chile which raised local hostility to fever pitch.
From the first whistle the Chileans were spitting in the faces of the Italians. The Italians retaliated and all hell broke loose. A savage left hook, shown around the world, flattened an Italian,breaking his nose but incredibly, the perpetrator got away with it. To make matters worse, two Italians were then sent off for retaliation.
The game was a series of running battles and the English referee, Ken Aston, lost complete control. If you can find David Coleman's commentary, enjoy.
I assure you that you will never have seen anything like this.

David Coleman's report and commentary are absolutely sublime: here's a clip.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here