Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Burke the stumbling block?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Is David Burke's remit for targeting players and his hands on involvement in player recruitment, a main stumbling block on negotiations with perspective managers??? It would certainly put a lot of top managers off.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
No, no I don't believe he is.

I think we're just taking our time trying to get the right man in.

However does get the job is inheriting a team they can build themself, with a decent budget, a great stadium and big crowds. With that of course comes the pressure to breaking the top-6 of an increasingly difficult division. Worth taking your time and getting it right.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
TB decides on the organisation of the club structure and any new manager/coach will have fit into that. I assume therefore, that BHA will only be interviewing applicants who will fit into that structure.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
We don't know for definite. It may well be for some but if thats the way TB wishes to run the club, any new manager needs to work under those constraints. After losing two managers in part to this issue, TB needs to make sure that whoever comes in knows EXACTLY how things will run and that all parties are happy. If we end up losing another manager sue to DB's involvement then TB needs to look at the situation and change it.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I heard that the main stubling block was managers not wanting to be associated with impatient and ill-informed fans making judgements on backroom staff they have little solid information about, based soley upon their wishes for the club.

Who knows which is right?

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
TB decides on the organisation of the club structure and any new manager/coach will have fit into that. I assume therefore, that BHA will only be interviewing applicants who will fit into that structure.

While top managers pass you by because of your structure??? Maybe a change in structure is what's needed along with a new manager.

Aug 23, 2011
I don't see what the huge rush to appoint someone is. They are interviewing candidates and no doubt negotiations will be on going. Do you buy the first house you look at or do you go and look whats on the market? Its not mid-season so there's no pressing urgency.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not sure it's him, but I think some managers, particularly the good one's who have confidence in their ability to pick players may find it somewhat tedious and frustrating to work with him.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It's not Burke, it may be his Role. That is down to Tony on how things are run.

He tried to install it under Gus with Stephenson and Gus managed to get rid of him.

Burke was then introduced and I think things become troublesome when budget wasnt offered and the money that could be spent was in the control of another Man.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I seriously worry about how a club, any club, can mange it's fans expectations. We want the best manager in the world for the lowest salary, that isn't going to happen. We have to find the best fit against knowledge and experience V's affordable salary. This is never go to be quick or easy.

If we took on Paul Clement and agreed a "hefty" playing budget and then fell foul of the FFP we'd all say Bloom shouldn't have done that; so what's he to do? We must live within our means and if that means Nathan Jones and Calderon then that's where we are.

I'd love a top notch Sales guy in my business but, at the moment, I can't afford one so I'm building sales as I can until I can afford the right person. If I spend too much now without the right level of income I'll have nothing.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
While top managers pass you by because of your structure??? Maybe a change in structure is what's needed along with a new manager.

Unless you're privy to something others aren't, there's nothing written anywhere that says a top manager has passed us by at all, let alone due to our structure.

At this point it'd be just as meaningful to ask whether a top manager has passed us by because of the queues at the P&R areas after a game.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't see what the huge rush to appoint someone is. They are interviewing candidates and no doubt negotiations will be on going. Do you buy the first house you look at or do you go and look whats on the market? Its not mid-season so there's no pressing urgency.

I would say needing nearly an entire new team makes it quite urgent to appoint a manager. Or is Burke just going to sign 8 players and say "there you go, there's your new team, work with that".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here