Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zola- getting backed

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I appreciate there's been hundreds of these threads, but now backed into 3rd favorite ahead of Hughton and Clement from 25/1 2 days ago. Not sure how I'd feel about him. Watford's fast, attacking football at the Amex was very impressive a couple of seasons ago when they beat us 3-1 but they did seemingly have a lot of quality players on loan and at the start of last season it all fell apart for them.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Was very impressed with the Watford side that beat us 3-1 at the Amex.

Would quite like Zola to be chosen.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
If Zola can replicate that style here is be very happy with that appointment. Would imagine with all the freed up wages from the departures of Orlandi, Lopez etc and the money from Bridcutt and Barnes he'd have a decent budget to bring in players suited to that style of play.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Very impressed by Zola and on the face of it he looks like a good appointment..

However - he did have some obscenely good players at his disposal, players like Forestieri and the like. It's not like he left Watford after the play-off disappointment, he signed up for another season but couldn't motivate his troops. They languished in 13th place before he finally resigned. Not saying he wouldn't be great for us but worth bearing in mind.

Also, you'd need to consider his close friendship with Poyet - I'm not 100% sure he'd want to join us after that monumental bust up...

Last edited:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
It's not like he left Watford after the play-off disappointment, he signed up for another season but couldn't motivate his troops. They languished in 13th place before he finally got the sack. Not saying he wouldn't be great for us but worth bearing in mind.

we don't need to worry about him staying, he'll go after one season, like oscar

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Zola was apparently lined up for the QPR job should Redknapp have failed getting to the premiership and hence his reluctance to speak seriously about the Forest job (source a pro footballer via an agent)

Given that boat has sailed, its entirely possible he is actively looking for work again.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
i wasn't so impressed with the watford side that drew 1-1 with us at the amex. The side that beat us was full of loanees.

To be fair, even though a lot of them were clearly quality and from the same team it was impressive how quickly he got them playing in an effective style in a division most of them wouldn't have been accustomed to. I also didn't think they were that bad in the 1-1 draw, had it not been for Crofts fine finish they probably did enough to win the game as the away team.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I'm the same before last season I would have been really excited about getting him in, now I don't really want him!

Funny how one bad season and you're a has been as a manager. He did have some very good loanees, that season but building a team around so many loanees could just as easily have turned into a train wreck! And afterall werent they all from udinese and granadas b teams? We have to give him some credit.

If he gets the job I'll back him!

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
To be fair, even though a lot of them were clearly quality and from the same team it was impressive how quickly he got them playing in an effective style in a division most of them wouldn't have been accustomed to. I also didn't think they were that bad in the 1-1 draw, had it not been for Crofts fine finish they probably did enough to win the game as the away team.

Well technically it was a 2-1 watford win. But after the ghost goal they lost their momentum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here