Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone play the GUITAR?

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Decided for the first time in ages to pick up a guitar and try and learn. Anyone on here have any experience/advice for beginners? Would massively appreciate any help.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Yes, I do. I'm 'just' a strummer and that is a good thing to begin with even if you eventually want to finger pick.

What is your motivation for learning and what type of songs do you want to play?

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Yes, I do. I'm 'just' a strummer and that is a good thing to begin with even if you eventually want to finger pick.

What is your motivation for learning and what type of songs do you want to play?

My motivation was merely that I don't think I'll ever take it up if I don't now, so I figured why not? I'd just like to reach a basic competence with the electric guitar then go from there. 'Just a strummer' sounds good to me!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
My advice is that it takes a long time to master the guitar and so keep going at it. Learn your chords, your scales and get some structure to your playing so that you learn incrementally. YouTube clips are a great free method of learning as well. Try Justin Sandercoe on Youtube.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I do.

Learn a relatively easy song from start to finish.

It'll give you strength in your hands, help practice chord changes and give you a goal to aim for and a great feeling when you can do it!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Are you learning on an acoustic or electric? Either way it's best to play a little everyday if you can find the time. It's far better than just playing it every now and then as it will built up strength in your hands and get your fingers used to holding down the strings when forming chords. Start with learning basic open chords (shapes, sounds, progression from one chord to the next etc) and then learn an easy song and if you learn Pachelbel canon you can pretty much play every pop song ever written!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can absolutely NAIL the solo on Freebird*

* on Guitar Hero

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Use that Justinguitar site, that's really, really good. Ultimate guitar I use for tabs. Saying this, I don't really play the electric guitar as I tend to play bass.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Be PATIENT with yourself. At first, go as slowly as you need to to play something right, rather than playing it half right just to play it a bit quicker.

And it is worth the time spent investing in it.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I'd give my high teeth just to be able to play the intro from 'Cruel to be kind'

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
All good advise so far, I would also add that don't be fooled into thinking that if you go out and buy all the best equipment it will make you a better player, just practice every day learn the scales, chords, how to read tab, ect, when you feel comfortable with the basics then you can have some real fun with different string tuning, pinched/screaming harmonics and effects.
also youtube has some great videos to help players of all abilities.
But just keep at it because it really is a great way to express yourself.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
All good advise so far, I would also add that don't be fooled into thinking that if you go out and buy all the best equipment it will make you a better player, just practice every day learn the scales, chords, how to read tab, ect, when you feel comfortable with the basics then you can have some real fun with different string tuning, pinched/screaming harmonics and effects.
also youtube has some great videos to help players of all abilities.
But just keep at it because it really is a great way to express yourself.

Whilst not advocating that you spend silly money its a false economy to buy a really cheap electric guitar. A bad guitar despite attempts to set it up can be disheartening if the intonation is out, the frets are poorly fitted and the action cannot be set to the optimum. A guitar that requires too much effort to play can easily stifle a learner. Buzzing frets and cheese wire action with unstable tuning is a pain.

My first guitar was Sunn Mustang Strat copy which I thought was quite good. However, when I upgraded to a Fender Japan 62 reissue strat it was real step up. You might want to think what sort of music you want to play which might lead you down the path as to whether you want a Fender Strat or the thicker sound of a humbucker equipped Gibson Les Paul style guitar. Personally I prefer the versatility of the Strat as you can still the thicker rock tones by using effects, different amp settings or maybe adding different pick ups. If you do go the Strat route it might be as well to avoid anything fancy with sexy looking Floyd Rose locking whammy bars. They are great for metal style shredding but as a beginner just way to much effort to set up.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Whilst not advocating that you spend silly money its a false economy to buy a really cheap electric guitar. A bad guitar despite attempts to set it up can be disheartening if the intonation is out, the frets are poorly fitted and the action cannot be set to the optimum. A guitar that requires too much effort to play can easily stifle a learner. Buzzing frets and cheese wire action with unstable tuning is a pain.

My first guitar was Sunn Mustang Strat copy which I thought was quite good. However, when I upgraded to a Fender Japan 62 reissue strat it was real step up. You might want to think what sort of music you want to play which might lead you down the path as to whether you want a Fender Strat or the thicker sound of a humbucker equipped Gibson Les Paul style guitar. Personally I prefer the versatility of the Strat as you can still the thicker rock tones by using effects, different amp settings or maybe adding different pick ups. If you do go the Strat route it might be as well to avoid anything fancy with sexy looking Floyd Rose locking whammy bars. They are great for metal style shredding but as a beginner just way to much effort to set up.

This.

Definitely buy the best guitar you can afford, there's nothing more disheartening than a guitar that won't stay in tune, has fret buzz and cheese wire action. Totally agree about the Floyd Rose whammy bars, unless you get a really expensive "proper" one you can kiss goodbye to your guitar ever being in tune for more than five minutes at a time. Also don't be fooled into thinking that if it hasn't got Fender or Gibson written on the headstock it's no good, my current weapons of choice are a Blade Tele and a 1976 Antoria Strat both of which knock spots off the similar priced Fenders.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Depends what you want to play really. I have 7 guitars, mainly electric. By far the best site I've found for learning acoustic or electric is justinguitar.com - he takes you through from the very first chord to quite complex stuff, it's a super site and free (though he asks for donations or sells additional stuff, can't recommend it highly enough

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
When I started teaching myself a bit of guitar I looked for songs that consisted of A minor and C chords, as they are very easy to switch between, as you only need to move one finger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here