Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vinyl Junkies thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Got WELL into vinyl recently - it's lovely. Speaking to a number of people there is proving quite an upsurge in it's popularity at the moment - particularly amongst young people. I think it's understandable as a generation have grown up with all their music being digital and not a tangible, physical thing.

Right, enough ramble.

Anyone's advice and suggestions for best places to buy old and new vinyl, and also good entry level vinyl players that don't look too "DJ" and have speakers that aren't too shabby?

Thanks in advance.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anyone's advice and suggestions for best places to buy old and new vinyl, and also good entry level vinyl players that don't look too "DJ" and have speakers that aren't too shabby?

why avoid DJ decks? build quality is high and come with decent cartridge- which is the essential component. when i looked (some years ago, may have changed if thers new interst) non DJ turntables were either cheap tat or expensive/pretentious nonsence (to go with audiophiles oxygen free directional cable etc). solid Numark direct drive with stanton cart under £150.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
why avoid DJ decks? build quality is high and come with decent cartridge- which is the essential component. when i looked (some years ago, may have changed if thers new interst) non DJ turntables were either cheap tat or expensive/pretentious nonsence (to go with audiophiles oxygen free directional cable etc). solid Numark direct drive with stanton cart under £150.

Honestly I'm not huge fan of how they look, bit poncy I know. Difficult though as I don't want something that looks nice but sounds shit. Thanks for advice, will look into.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I get all my vinyl's at car boot sale's

My collection is starting to fall into 2 categories - classic 60s-80s vinyl which I pick up at car boots etc for cheap, what I want to know really is where to look for modern/new albums at the best price. Discogs is great, problem is some of my tastes are a bit obscure/eclectic so some I am struggling to find copies of.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Charity shops can be quite hit and miss but you can find absolute gems if you have the patience. If you a particular record in mind eBay is always worth a look.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Same mate, Ive bought most of my vinyl from there, most of its old 80s and 90s hip hop.

I saw it was good for that, want to pick up some wu tang, which I think is the next thing on my list.

A little trick is find a buyer with multiple items you like as the postage tends to become cost effective around 3-5 albums, especially when the records are only a pound or two like much of the D&B I buy is

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I use ebay all the time these days, although I've had some amazing charity shop finds this here year. I paid £8 for mint and I mean mint copies of Peter Greens debut solo "Play the Game" a rare spaceship (vertigo) press of the debut Gentle Giant LP, a Faces debut first press LP which I sold and a 73ish album by Jefferson Airplane. In the same town, a wee bit later, I found some obscure early to mid 70s acid folk albums all for low, low prices with book prices of £50-£80. It's still the best way to dig for gold in my opinion, and always worth it when you get a real bargain. In terms of new ROCK stuff, I research the label and buy direct from them as the price is usually the same as Amazon etc. and I like to support the guys and girls (directly) whom are making the music I love to hear.

Such as this:

Kosh

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What I find difficult is knowing what a good price for a brand new LP album is. Can range anywhere from £14-£30. Just got a lovely limited edition of the new Queens Of The Stoneage album, proper work of art.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
What I find difficult is knowing what a good price for a brand new LP album is. Can range anywhere from £14-£30. Just got a lovely limited edition of the new Queens Of The Stoneage album, proper work of art.

Discogs will show what the recent sale was along with the highest and lowest to give you an idea

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yep it's tough as prices are kind of high, it's a captive market I guess and thus the labels can push the margins and keep those nice £15-30 price tags. It's a case of you've got to want it to pay it, which actually ensures/enforces quality control within my collection at least! The defunct (as was at least) Freak Emporium was a gold mine for "new" bands LPs, and I used to order from them all the time. Sadly when Amazon et al latched, or perhaps, tapped into the vinyl market it killed those kind of shops/online businesses. Thus - when I can I shop with the label.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Agree with this, to a degree.

I have an old pair of Vestax PDT 5000 turntables with Ortofon Concorde Nightclub cartridges, paired up with a 7 channel Citronic mixer as my pre amp. Yet the rest of my set up is squarely hi-fi in that it's bulit around a Roksan Caspian power amp and Monitor Audio floor standing speakers. The rest of the separates are strictly hi-fi rather than DJ too.

Where I disagree is with the notion that decent cabling is pretentious nonsense. You'd be amazed at the different sound quality you can get from different interconnects and speaker cable. Won't make poor seperates sound any better but will bring out the very best from what you have. They say a good guide is to spend around 10% of what your set up costs on cabling. Remembering of course that sound is wholly subjective and so it's best if you can audition different cables on what you have before buying.

Edit: You could start by looking through current turntable models here http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/hi-fi/turntables
If you find one you fancy then try to find a shop that stocks it so you can audition it. Best if you can audition a few on the same day to compare and contrast. Take along your favourite bit of vinyl or two to audition on as well :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

If you are are looking for new things then you need to know release dates. I usually look through Normans/Juno/Resident websites (Sign up for their mailing list which pops into your inbox every Friday) for new and pre-releases, check on Amazon to see if it is any cheaper (Sometimes is, sometimes isn't) and if needs be check the record label website as sometimes it is cheaper on there. I also use Soundcloud to keep tabs on artists and record labels, sometimes they'll upload something and give a future release date, particularly useful for getting limited edition releases from other countries.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm going to go up into the attic tomorrow. Somewhere, there are Duel, ProJect and Ariston turntables, plus hundreds and hundreds of 7", 10" and 12" slabs of vinyl that have been lying dormant ever since I digitised everything about 7 years ago. Time to bring the music back into the sitting room.......

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
A Ray of Delight in Arundel is fantastic, bursting with records and at very good prices too. Got a lovely copy of Kasabian's 'Fire' at all stall in the lanes so that's well worth checking out. Occasionally you'll get lucky in charity shops but it's unlikely, they're probably best for finding classical or very common hit records. Be wary they'll mark up big names to ridiculous prices (I saw a copy of With the Beatles for £70 once, bought it in ROD for a fiver :D ). As mentioned previously, Discogs is exceptional, bought one of my all time favourites: Africa, on there.

TOTO_AFRICA_UK_PICTURE_DISC_SHAPE.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here