Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT Infinity 2 Problems

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Is anyone else in the Hove area experiencing problems with BT Infinity?

I have BT Infinity 2 installed, and seem to be going around and around the same loop:

1. A number of intermittent broadband drops occur - anywhere from 30 secs to 5 minutes
2. Call support who monitor the connectivity/send an engineer/get someone at the exchange to do something
3. Promise me every thing is fixed and working now
4. Everything is fine for 1-2 weeks
5. Back to No. 1.

When it works, BT Infinity is good, and has other benefits, such as a good upload speed, Wifi hotspots, BT Sport etc.

I rely on broadband as part of my business relies on constant connectivity (within the usual technical limitations of course). So naturally, I am now more than a little miffed.

There is a Virgin Broadband cable which passes right outside my house.

So:
BT Infinity users - are you having/had problems?
Virgin Internet users - should I switch to Virgin; is it stable?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
That used to happen to me on virgin too and spent several days without a phone line or Internet with them. Swapped to BT, still have the occasional problem but normally fixes itself if I reset the infinity box thing. I found virgin very unpleasant to deal with whereas BT have been very good.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I have BT Infinity 2 installed, and seem to be going around and around the same loop:

1. A number of intermittent broadband drops occur - anywhere from 30 secs to 5 minutes
2. Call support who monitor the connectivity/send an engineer/get someone at the exchange to do something
5. Back to No. 1.

When it works, BT Infinity is good, and has other benefits, such as a good upload speed, Wifi hotspots, BT Sport etc.

I rely on broadband as part of my business relies on constant connectivity (within the usual technical limitations of course). So naturally, I am now more than a little miffed.

So:

Have you not got some drippy students who live in the flat next door ? Why not just go round and use their BT Infinity. It seems to be socially acceptable these days.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Virgin internet (64mb I think) was awful when I had it in Southampton. Very slow and frequent disconnections lasting days at a time. It got better towards the end of my contract but I was happy to get rid. I've had Sky broadband (only 16mb) for almost a year now and it's much faster and has never once disconnected. I have moved away from Southampton now though so need to look for something new.

Ryde

Sep 22, 2005
Carisbrooke
Same problem in Southwick. Keeps dropping out for short periods but is always OK when I call BT. The latest advice was to use a wired connection but I explained that doesn't help with an iPad and an iPhone. They then suggested I use a booster which I am already using. They ended the call saying that as the speed to the house is good then there is nothing else they can do.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
My BT business broadband was dropping our continually and driving me insane. Had engineers out a few times, changed phone line, changed router, changed everything else but couldn't find the problem. Turns out problem was at the exchange where it had been set to automatically pick the highest broadband speed it could and it adjusted the noise setting because of this (or something like that). This gave me fantastically fast broadband .. which was totally unstable and kept dropping out all the time. As soon as they took it off automatic and set the noise level it fixed the problem. Might be worth a trying asking them to give you a slightly slower but more stable broadband speed?

Spimunk

Jun 17, 2011
West Sussex
I've had BT Infinity for over 3 years now at three different addresses across Sussex and not had any problems at all. Just one Router box that died. However, dealing with technical support at BT or any other ISP can be incredibly frustrating until to get to level 2 or 3 as first line really don't have technical training and just follow a troubleshooting program on their end.

I would ask to escalate your issue to the next level of support but don't mention it's causing you issue for business unless you are on a business connection as a home connection usually is not allowed for business use and then they throw that at you and don't do anymore to help.

I am in Hove and all has been ok as far as I know recently. I am guessing you've checked for any works going on in the area? If not, you can here: https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31

In terms of whether to go to Virgin or not, I personally have not used them for broadband, only TV. However, one of my team at work is a home worker and she recently transferred to BT Infinity from Virgin due to the constant issues at the Exchange. She's not had a problem since and she is based on Shoreham.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Out of interest, I've recently moved into the flat where I am now.

The guy upstairs has agreed to share his BT internet with me via the wi fi for a fiver a month. (He's another sth :bowdown:)

I heard on the student BT ad that the limit is just 40 gig a month, is that right?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Out of interest, I've recently moved into the flat where I am now.

The guy upstairs has agreed to share his BT internet with me via the wi fi for a fiver a month. (He's another sth :bowdown:)

I heard on the student BT ad that the limit is just 40 gig a month, is that right.

Depends what tier he has paid for.

One level is 40GB Per month

One level is unlimited.

Edited!

Last edited:

doug7126

Apr 13, 2008
Aldershot

5. Back to No. 1.

So:

What has the engineers done so far?

Is your router plugged into the first socket where you phone line comes into the house?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here