Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Possible shock news re. Qatar World Cup bid

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
It's rare that I applaud the England FA but they are THE ONLY ONES who made a stink about this farce and were outvoted by FIFA. It's a disgrace.

If we had any bollocks we would boycott the event. People (Pakistanis mainly) have died building those ludicrous stadia in the desert.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The English bid team were offering VIP tickets to the Olympics main events and top hotel accommodation to people that would vote for us weren't they? Surely we are not as innocent as we are trying to claim but were out bribed?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The English bid team were offering VIP tickets to the Olympics main events and top hotel accommodation to people that would vote for us weren't they? Surely we are not as innocent as we are trying to claim but were out bribed?

This.

I seem to remember stories of all the things that FIFA representatives expected for themselves - exclusive five star hotels, special tax breaks, etc, and we were willing to bend over backwards to give them whatever they wanted. Just comes across as quite bitter from England.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
This.

I seem to remember stories of all the things that FIFA representatives expected for themselves - exclusive five star hotels, special tax breaks, etc, and we were willing to bend over backwards to give them whatever they wanted. Just comes across as quite bitter from England.

Well there you have a problem. The FA weren't offering these sweeteners as bribes you have to provide a "package" to even be considered.

FIFA insist on officials being accommodated in 5 star hotels and having access to top national porting events to "assess" the countries ability to organise high profile events.

I wonder what Quatar were able to show them in terms of massive sports organisation? Camel racing? There's **** all there.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
What! ! You mean the well known footballing nation of Qatar and their top class football stadiums with all the amazing excitement of the qatar leagues and world renowned teams. I cannot for one minute beleive they got the world cup just because they are mega rich and full of oil billionaires

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When they've finished investigating the 2022 result, maybe they can investigate the 2018 result which is patently equally corrupt.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
They should give it to South Africa who have already built the stadiums at great expense but they won't. FIFA would lose the gravy train of countries bidding to hold it. Then in 2026 it should go back to Brazil. The stadiums might be finished by then.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Well there you have a problem. The FA weren't offering these sweeteners as bribes you have to provide a "package" to even be considered.

FIFA insist on officials being accommodated in 5 star hotels and having access to top national porting events to "assess" the countries ability to organise high profile events.

I wonder what Quatar were able to show them in terms of massive sports organisation? Camel racing? There's **** all there.

Surely that would have meant the events they were invited to would have been before the selection process?

I remember the FA saying they were going to take back the tickets etc after we lost the bid.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Surely that would have meant the events they were invited to would have been before the selection process?

I remember the FA saying they were going to take back the tickets etc after we lost the bid.

You're right. My mistake. In that case we should have gone down the more traditional route of a Manila envelope stuffed with cash.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here