Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing pubs

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just clicked on Worthingpubs.com and there is a story under The Clifton where the land lord and 150 customers signed a paper and made a time capsule which has just been opened. Very interesting I can pick out my dad and his brothers signature plus many more people I knew. A pint of bitter was 1s 9d (9p) gal petrol 4s10d (23p) Brighton had their 1st season in Div 2 and Worthing finushed bottom of Corinthian League. Well worth a look for nostalgia.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
No you are right,like everywhere but for its size Shoreham must have about 18 whereas somewhere like Southwick has 4.

Southwick only had 3 now. The Romans, The cricketers and The Ship.

The Windmill and Pilot have both gone and The Schooner has been turned into a Cocktail bar. There's other places to drink such as Cafe Cube and The Twitten but that's a social club.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Worthing pubs are very poor .For it's size Shoreham has a great variety.

There are a few good pubs in Worthing but too few and far between.

I prefer the Shoreham pubs, not many duds up there. :cheers:

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I am a bit disappointed that my dad doesn't seem to be on there. I know he used the Clifton and the George and Dragon back then, maybe it was a George and Dragon phase for him.

Some fine old local families on there. Didn't the Mant, Harris and Treagus families live in the same road as you BG. I think the Richardson, Dewey and Lodge families lived in Clifton road and Anglesea street until the slum clearances of the 60s and 70s when they were moved out to the posh new council houses in Maybridge. It would have been the first time they had ever known the luxury of bathrooms and indoor loos!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nobody is disputing the number of pubs in any town now I was just interested in what was in the time capsule where I am sure many old names will be seen and remembered by us oldies

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Worthing pubs are very poor .For it's size Shoreham has a great variety.

When I was growing up in Shoreham, there were within two minutes of home the following:
The Kings Head
The Bridge
The Schooner
The Marlipins
The Royal Sovereign
The Crown and Anchor
The Ferry
and for a short while, The Hebe and The Arundel Arms.

If that wasn't enough choice, walk for a few more minutes and I can think of another 5.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
When I was growing up in Shoreham, there were within two minutes of home the following:
The Kings Head
The Bridge
The Schooner
The Marlipins
The Royal Sovereign
The Crown and Anchor
The Ferry
and for a short while, The Hebe and The Arundel Arms.

If that wasn't enough choice, walk for a few more minutes and I can think of another 5.

Growing up I could see the Kings Head and the Bridge from my bedroom

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
I am a bit disappointed that my dad doesn't seem to be on there. I know he used the Clifton and the George and Dragon back then, maybe it was a George and Dragon phase for him.

Some fine old local families on there. Didn't the Mant, Harris and Treagus families live in the same road as you BG. I think the Richardson, Dewey and Lodge families lived in Clifton road and Anglesea street until the slum clearances of the 60s and 70s when they were moved out to the posh new council houses in Maybridge. It would have been the first time they had ever known the luxury of bathrooms and indoor loos!!

My Grandad was Doug Richardson who lived in Tarring Road and drunk in the Clifton - there's a few Richardsons on that sheet so guessing 1 will be him. He told a story of how we was banned from the Clifton for a few years - involved home made pickled onions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Yes they did as did Ted Richardson who was the local bookies runner taking the bets and lived with his mum Nan Richardson.
My mum, Floss worked in the pub.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just enlarged it so it was quite easy, even I can do that. If you ask other posters they will tell you I have bad eyesight as they think I watch a different game to everyone else.lol.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
The landlord when I used it most was Phil Hutton and his wife Lilly. Then, after a few failed attempts, it was taken over by John and Evie Heath. I know John and Evie were both from old Brighton families and Evies were said to be ones you would best not upset. No idea of that's true but maybe some Brighton posters on here knew them?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here