Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do they ask football managers in interviews?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I'm curious. Do you think an interview for a football manager's job is much like any other (ie all "Where do you see yourself in xxx years time?", "What unique qualities do you think you can bring to this role?", "What are your strengths/weaknesses as a manager of people?" etc)?

Or is it completely different? It's a much more high profile job than most, so perhaps it would be harder to bluff your way through. Whaddya reckon?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I usually have to do a test when I go for a job - maybe they do too ???

They sit them down at PC with a copy of football manager installed, leave them to it for a couple of hours and then come back and see how far they've got.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I imagine they use a core competences type interview where the candidate has to demonstrate real life examples of how they have dealt with certain situations that are relevant.

You reckon? You think (for example) Chelsea asked Mourinho or Man United asked Moyes to provide examples of how they'd demonstrated respect for diversity, or dealt with personal criticism?

Genuine question. I suppose you'd have to be fair to all shortlisted applicants, but I can't help wondering whether some of the personalities involved might find such an approach insulting.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Maybe the interview is more to see if the new man and the Chairman/COO/DOF can work together ???
Most manager's cv/work history is public knowledge anyway.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
You reckon? You think (for example) Chelsea asked Mourinho or Man United asked Moyes to provide examples of how they'd demonstrated respect for diversity, or dealt with personal criticism?

Genuine question. I suppose you'd have to be fair to all shortlisted applicants, but I can't help wondering whether some of the personalities involved might find such an approach insulting.

I was thinking more of a situation like asking Tony Pulis at the Palace interview to demonstrate how he went about keeping a pants team like Stoke in the Prem and could he replicate that at Palace

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sure it will be more about the Exec explaining the ambitions, and the candidate being asked to explain what he'd do to help meet those ambitions, and how, what he'd need, how he'd get the right framework in place, motivate the players and others etc, and maybe how he'd react to setbacks, underperformance and abuse on NSC ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
It was documented by the then Burnley chairman that AVB did a very long and complicated PowerPoint presentation when he applied for the managers job in 2010 as they looked for a replacement for Owen Coyle

Pickles

May 5, 2014
In our case, it'll be can you take orders from David Burke and let him talk to you like a pratt?

What the frigging hell has this bloke got on our Tone?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Maybe the interview is more to see if the new man and the Chairman/COO/DOF can work together ???
Most manager's cv/work history is public knowledge anyway.

How to cross a pretend ocean with two barrels and three planks, with none of the men (or women) able to touch the floor due to currents and imaginary sharks?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It was documented by the then Burnley chairman that AVB did a very long and complicated PowerPoint presentation when he applied for the managers job in 2010 as they looked for a replacement for Owen Coyle

Ahh, powerpoint. The last vestige of those without character or brain......

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
In our case, it'll be can you take orders from David Burke and let him talk to you like a pratt?

No, no it won't, will it?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
My guess would be something similar to these.

Budget expectations.
Short/medium/long term expectations.
How much control they want on transfers and other departments.
What they can bring to the club.
Football philosophy.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
How to cross a pretend ocean with two barrels and three planks, with none of the men (or women) able to touch the floor due to currents and imaginary sharks?

I do hope it's like that :D

I'd like to see prospective candidates for any job made to attend an assessment day, where they, aside from the interviews, are made to form groups and engage in exercises to see how well they bond as a team, and how their managerial skills hold up.

Mainly because I'd like to see how someone like Mourinho coped if he found himself in a team with (say) Graham Westley and had to build a raft to cross Ardingly reservoir. Then, they have to come up with a new and marketable cocktail. And finally, they play a group game of Top Trumps. Probably the dinosaurs or Transformers pack.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
How will you manage player egos?

We're BHA, not Liverpool or Real Ma'hrid and yet the turnover of physios on our backroom staff down the years who cite player personality/attitude as the reason for leaving is 'allegedly' quite staggering. What sort of monsters have we created?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here