Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

But, but, Stevenage IS dire..

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blog...lewis-hamilon-forgetting-roots-122452974.html

Lewis Hamilton has been accused of forgetting his roots after making derogatory comments about his home town of Stevenage.

Comparing his upbringing to Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg before last weekend's Monaco Grand Prix, multi-millionaire Formula One driver Hamilton got himself into trouble.

"I come from a not-great place in Stevenage and lived on a couch in my dad’s apartment," he said.

"And Nico grew up in Monaco with jets and hotels and boats and all these kinds of things – so the hunger is different..."

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
“I can’t see how he can say such things about the place where he grew up,” councillor Phillip Bibby said. “He needs to remember his roots. His comments are unfair."

That councillor sounds like many on here who don't actually read what's being said.

The quote from Lewis Hamilton

"I come from a not-great place in Stevenage and lived on a couch in my dad’s apartment,"

Nothing about Stevenage being 'great' or otherwise!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'm confused, it seems the quote is him remembering exactly where he is from. its the whole point he's trying to make isnt it? the comment is about the area too, not the whole of Stevenage, bit like what someone from Whitehawk or Moulsecoomb might say.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
That Councillor HAS to say he likes Stevenage.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I love the way councillors and local radio stations big up their towns and cities and make them out to be great places to live when they are in fact awful places.
Stevenage is awful. Fact. Hamilton tells the truth.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I love the way councillors and local radio stations big up their towns and cities and make them out to be great places to live when they are in fact awful places.
Stevenage is awful. Fact. Hamilton tells the truth.

Did you actually read what Hamilton said?

Or Creaky's post above?

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
It's a strange thing for him to say as he really spent most of his formative years in Tewin, a very exclusive Hertfordshire village closer to Welwyn Garden City than Stevenage.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Did you actually read what Hamilton said?

Or Creaky's post above?

I read what Hamilton said and creaky's post.
I think Hamilton meant that Stevenage is not a great place, and he is right, the councillor jumped on it to big up Stevenage, which they do.
Hamilton does not do interviews very well, he lives in Monaco, travels the world and stays in the finest places surrounded by beautiful girls and hangers on telling him how great he is. It's all gone to his head which is understandable, I would do the same and so would most people in his situation.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I read what Hamilton said and creaky's post.
I think Hamilton meant that Stevenage is not a great place, and he is right, the councillor jumped on it to big up Stevenage, which they do.
Hamilton does not do interviews very well, he lives in Monaco, travels the world and stays in the finest places surrounded by beautiful girls and hangers on telling him how great he is. It's all gone to his head which is understandable, I would do the same and so would most people in his situation.

So he didn't mean what he actually said but what you think he meant to say :ffsparr:

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I don't think he says anything wrong. He has come from not much and is just comparing his early life to his team mates.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'll accept that!

opinion - noun - a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

Not necessarily still leaves it open to question, thanks for finally accepting my thoughts on what Hamilton may (not definitely) have meant, I'm pleased.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here