Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Children and Women first....

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
So after watching Godzilla last night, there was a scene where the hospital gets evacuated and like in many other disaster films the line 'woman and children are being evacuated' was said....

Now is the old woman and children should be evacuated first ahead of men slighty sexist in this day of age? Or should this still happen? Does it still happen?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think there is sound evolutionary biology behind the "women and children first" tradition. There's also the opportunity for a man to be posthumously thought chivalrous, mannered and even possibly heroic - quite some legacy.

Of course, you'd be dead too. :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think there is sound evolutionary biology behind the "women and children first" tradition.
That's possibly true with children, but not with women. In the animal world, it would be the fittest/strongest/fastest animals that survive - and there would be cases where some animals would protect their offspring at their own expense. But I don't there are many cases where the males would save the females first.

I like the 'children first' principle - they've got their lives ahead of them, and it's our job to look after them. I don't really agree with women first - we're all equal.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Women go first because men are essentially expendable. Only one man needs to survive.
Kids go with the women because splitting up mother and child would cause an epic barney and all would perish.
The old should really give up their spots but many have a lot of experience at staying alive and manage to get one.
The men then fight for the remaining spots.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Going down with the ship reminds me of this quip.

In the armed forces if you lost your rifle or damaged a vehicle through negligence you were liable for the cost of repair or replacement. This is why in the Navy the captain would rather go down with his ship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here