Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Please sign this, to help save a 125 year old cricket club from developers. PLEASE.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Aigburth Cricket and Bowls Club, in South Liverpool, is a completely unremarkable, yet to its members, ever so special, local club. It has been there since 1888, and is absolutely integral to the local community, as a sports club, and as a social hub. For four years in the 90s it was the focal point of my sporting and social life, and the place I met some really great people.

After 125 years in existence, it is now under severe threat - the land was bought 6 years ago (from British Rail) by an Isle of Man based 'investment company', who have now served notice on the club, to leave by November.

Seemingly, the eviction can only be enforced if the developers gain planning permission to build on the land. The club are petitioning Liverpool City Council to block that permission. Liverpool has literally THOUSANDS of empty homes. The very idea of building on an essential community asset, and rare piece of valuable green space, is nothing short of a disgrace.

Please, please add your name to the list of signatories. Thank you all.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...tm_medium=email&utm_source=signature_receipt#

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/aigburth-cricket-club-liz-mcclarnon-7184694

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Done :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Isn't that where Lancashire play some of their games? Sure Sussex have played there.

Anyhoo, I've signed.

No. Local rivals Liverpool Cricket Club, play at Aigburth Cricket GROUND. This is Aigburth Cricket CLUB ( a couple of miles away).

Thanks J.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Done :thumbsup:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I thought that they played at the top end of Sefton Park - or is that another club?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks everybody, very much.

[MENTION=5382]Cheshire Cat[/MENTION] The club you are thinking of, with the lovely old ground,within Sefton Park, is (unsurpringly) Sefton Park Cricket Club. One of a few local clubs that Aigburth has a century long history of fixtures against. Its very pretty (and a bit posh). Liverpool CC is a higher level (the Aigburth Ground that Lancs CCC use as an outground. They are another club that Aigburth have played for many decades. (Its a hellish flat place to try to take any wickets!)

See hastily cobbled together graphic, below;

ACC.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here