Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans set to sign deal with Sheffield United after release from prison

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
Convicted rapist footballer Ched Evans will return to Sheffield United this summer on day-release from prison.

And if the striker’s fitness levels are up to scratch, he will sign a £3million three-year contract before Christmas.

Evans, 25, from Rhyl, is due to be fully released in October after serving half of his five years for raping a 19-year-old woman at the Premier Inn in Rhuddlan in April 2012.

He admitted having sex but has always claimed it was consensual and plans to appeal against his conviction.

The Welsh international will be allowed out on day-release from July and will return to Bramhall Lane for pre-season training while tagged.

Negotiations to bring back Evans started after Saudi Arabian Prince Abdullah bin Mossad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, co-owner of Sheffield United, gave a nod of approval for his return.

Since then manager Nigel Clough and co-chairman Kevin McCabe have frequently visited him behind bars.

A source said: “The prince has sets his sights on promotion next season. He wants an elite team. As Ched is Sheffield United’s top goal scorer the prince gave royal approval for his return. It’s now up to the club to sort things out.

“Ched will first sign an interim three-month contract in July while on day-release. He has been training hard while in prison. He is confident his fitness levels will be up to the mark and he will rejoin his team mates fully by the end of the year.

“As long as he passes the tests, he will sign a new £18,000-a-week deal.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ched-evans-set-sign-deal-7173162

From the Welsh Daily Post.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Jheez how can they pay that in league one? I don't have an issue with him resuming his career if he's done his time, that seems a bloody lot of money though for league one!

the prince gave royal approval for his return.

What does that even mean? What prince? :laugh:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Jheez how can they pay that in league one? I don't have an issue with him resuming his career if he's done his time, that seems a bloody lot of money though for league one!

the prince gave royal approval for his return.

What does that even mean? What prince? :laugh:

A Saudi Arabian prince is a co-owner of Sheffield United

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's a v interesting case - I read a website proclaiming his innocence & was v interesting. Clearly one side of the story but intriguing...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's a v interesting case - I read a website proclaiming his innocence & was v interesting. Clearly one side of the story but intriguing...

I've read that website also. As you say, it's obviously from his side, but some of the evidence and witness statements that were not admitted in court are interesting.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He claimed it was consensual, not denied having sex with her.

Exactly. He admitted to having sex with her, and his girlfriend has still stood by him. Then again, it's not that unusual for WAGs to stand by their millionaire football husbands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here