Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff City sign 3 strikers

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Adam Le Fondre £1million
Macheda-Free
Lewis Grabban- unsure of the price.

3 strikers we would've had a chance to sign quite easily if we had a manager.

Oh well. So much for their relegation hangover

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good job they have parachute payments, eh ?

Exactly what they were designed for.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i count 2 and a half...

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Sheeet - who did they have there already that might be worth snapping up? Bellamy - retired, Kenwyne Jones ? Fraizer Campbell? Maynard?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Easy?

Le Fondre - easily on 15k-23k a week, out of our wage structure
Grabban - Wage increase at Bournemouth, we're not sure by how much
Macheda - Not sure what this fella would be on, but he may have fitted. But i've not heard that many positive things about him.

So have we really missed out? We still have Ulloa and CMS, one more can easily be added. We have bigger concerns, we need a stronger defence.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Adam Le Fondre £1million
Macheda-Free

Would we? - FFP would surely play a part and if we were unable to match the offers made to them by Cardiff who will recieve millions in parachute payments (more that we will get in gate receipts and they will still have their gate receipts in adition too) then i doubt it would matter if we had a manager or not and who we had as a manager - even we could have had a world class manager (Mourinho, etc) but if we could only offer half of what Cardiff could pay in wages, the player will almost certainly choose the wages every time.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A couple of good players there, but not a top quality striker like Charlie Austin or Jordan Rhodes that could cement a Top 6 finish for them. If that's their striker business done then I'm pleased.

It will also be interesting to see how Reading go about replacing Le Fondre. I expect them to weaken in 2014/15.

A couple of good players there, but not a top quality striker like Charlie Austin or Jordan Rhodes that could cement a Top 6 finish for them. If that's their striker business done then I'm pleased.

It will also be interesting to see how Reading go about replacing Le Fondre. I expect them to weaken in 2014/15.

I'd love a Charlie Austin to come in!

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

Aren't Reading in a bit of trouble. I thought the Russian money man had done a runner and Madjeski won't/can't put money into the club

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Adam Le Fondre £1million
Meh. Goes missing all too frequently. No-one at Reading seems upset about this

Macheda-Free
Utterly gash. No thanks.

Decent, but he's had ONE good season at this level and I bet they've paid too much for him.

Or indeed, a new manager might well have made the same conclusions as the one's I've just arrived at. :shrug:

In the last few years, the teams that have made their key signings this early have often underperformed. I think squad unity is underestimated and that the key to a good season is how many decent current first teamers we can hold onto. I'm looking at Burnley and Derby here.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Of course we would.

I presume you're talking about the same Cardiff City who earned £62 million last season as a reward for the grand achievement of finishing bottom of the Premier League, and the same one who will receive at least £60 million over the next few seasons even if they were subsequently relegated to non-league in that time?

Yes indeed, there is no reason whatsoever why we shouldn't have easily beaten Cardiff to those players. None at all.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Adam Le Fondre £1million
Macheda-Free

Well, for starters, we didn't sign Grabban when we DID have a manager. Technically they haven't signed him yet anyway.

Le Fondre would benefit from Cardiff being able to pay higher wages, I would imagine, and Macheda was always going to be loyal to OGS, and I don't think he's all that anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here