Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curved televisions - hot or not?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
So, I have seen a few of these curved TVs from Samsung and LG. Are they a passing fad or the real deal? They seem verrrryyy expensive.

Anyone here got one?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Thought about it, but the expense of knocking down walls in order to build a curved one to accommodate such a beast proved prohibitive with the missus.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Saw one in currys the other day, utterly unimpressed. In fairness, I didn't stop to check the source they were using but the picture looked crap. Am I missing something?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Just a gimmick, like "ambilight" tech a few years back.

Now that most people have HD, people aren't really fussed about 3D, and it's too soon to roll out 4k, they have invented this kind of pointless technology to keep up sales.

So, other than the fact the TV is curved and looks pretty it has no better quality at all than a flatscreen?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
84" LG 4K. £15,000. Footballers tele.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
With anything new like this, only those who feel that they must be ahead of the crowd will go for it. Wait a couple of years - it will either have disappeared or become affordable.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
And unless you're sitting straight on to it I think it'll pony. Haven't seen one in the flesh yet though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Saw the ads, but I honestly cannot see the point. I'll have a snifter next time I'm in Currys if they've got one set up I suppose, but quite how a curved picture enhances anyones viewing is beyond me. Especially if you're not sat bang opposite the thing, the near side of the screen would be facing slightly away from you.

Much the same as 3D, it just screams gimmick to me.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Only done for viewing angle benefits. It's a gimmick.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Just a gimmick, like "ambilight" tech a few years back.

Now that most people have HD, people aren't really fussed about 3D, and it's too soon to roll out 4k, they have invented this kind of pointless technology to keep up sales.

I agree, 3D is dead and we're in between technologies at the moment. Although it is amazing, 4k is pretty much only available on Netflix for one show right now. It'll be a good 2 years before we start seeing sky sports 4k I'd say.

Curved displays to me serve absolutely no purpose at all unless you sit directly in front of the TV. Curved desktop monitors make sense, but the price they're charging for the TV's is way too much.

I'd suggest either:

- A cheaper 4k TV
- A MAHOOOSIVE (flat) HDTV

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I had a curved one for years :shrug:

Attachments

• telly.gif
    telly.gif
    84.3 KB · Views: 665

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Now that everyone has a HD TV, the television companies are desperate to come up with a new 'thing' that everyone has to have, 3D has failed, no one is broadcasting in 4K so I assume these curved televisions are there latest attempt at trying to get people to upgrade.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Xbox, blu ray, sky box, and spare in case I want to stream something through my laptop - I need at least four hdmi slots.

If you had one of those, you would probably have fairly impressive home cinema kit, so all those HDMIs will go into your AV Receiver, with one going out to the TV.

Has that made up your mind?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
One of those betting adverts on the TV , shows a football match on a TV that covers the whole wall. It looks amazing, but then the camera is about 5 metres behind where the cool young things are sitting on the sofa. Give it 10 minutes and she will go to bed with a headache and he will piss off down the pub for some peace and quiet, because they would need to keep moving their heads to watch a TV that large that close up.

Curved TVs are supposed to be better for viewing from an angle, but only for massive screens. I can't really see this catching on much in the living room, that's not to say there isn't a market for these things.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Charlie Brooker covered this on his Weekly Wipe a couple of months back. Said something along the lines of "do you remember when old TVs had curved screens and were really rubbish but then flat screens came in and everything was OK but flat screens are really rubbish but luckily..."

Fad.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://www.t3.com/reviews/samsung-ue65hu8500-review

"Samsung has a barrage of reasons why your next telly should bend like a pucker cinema screen (it's more immersive, seems panoramic etc), but the bottom line is it just looks dang cool. As for that curve, you pays your money etc. In truth it offers little extra beyond physical drama – and some unpredictable reflections. In truth, we've yet to be sold on the curved panel itself. There's a definite viewing sweetspot, and onscreen EPGs look a little wonky."

As suspected then, its a novelty at the moment and the set itself does look cool...but beyond that ?
I've never really bought into this "immersive" gubbins. Its still just a telly there in the corner of the room (or on the wall). Even if the screen is all bent, its not going to suddenly make me feel like I'm "there".

[edit]
Oh, and "soccer mode" ?? Ugh.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here