Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Laurence Olivier, fan of the Albion

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm sure this will only be of interest to the geeks and aesthetes among us (if there are any), but I've never seen 'Larry's' name listed when it comes to celebrity Albion fans so thought is was worth a mention. I've just been reading the biography of Kenneth Tynan and there's a bit where it mentions how he and his wife used to visit Olivier for weekends at his Brighton home in about 1967, and they would go to the football on a Saturday afternoon. It's difficult to imagine the double Oscar winner, and arguably the greatest ever English-speaking actor, slumming it on the East Terrace in a lounge suit and cravat, or po-going with the oiks in the North, so I can only think he must have sat with the cigar-smoking, hip-flask brigade in the West Stand. Probably next to Norman Wisdom.

Last edited:

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I went into his house once when he lived in Ashington. It was when the great storm occurred and his telephone line was down.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm sure this will only be of interest to the geeks and aesthetes among us (if there are any), but I've never seen 'Larry's' name listed when it comes to celebrity Albion fans so thought is was worth a mention. I've just been reading the biography of Kenneth Tynan and there's a bit where it mentions how he and his wife used to visit Olivier for weekends at his Brighton home in about 1967, and they would go to the football on a Saturday afternoon. It's difficult to imagine the double Oscar winner, and arguably the greatest ever English-speaking actor, slumming it on the East Terrace in a lounge suit and cravat, or po-going with the oiks in the North, so I can only think he must have sat with the cigar-smoking, hip-flask brigade in the West Stand. Probably next to Norman Wisdom.

It's probably not mentioned because he hasn't renewed his season ticket for last few years!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I read somewhere that John Snow is an Albion fan, but he has never been to a game, I don't really know how that works

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I read somewhere that John Snow is an Albion fan, but he has never been to a game, I don't really know how that works

Suspect he considers there to be some mystique to that at this stage. He's worn club ties on TV before (not much else in the way of branded kit you can wear in a news bulletin) and has made mentions of major games also.

Reading the thread where that was brought up, someone does suggest that it was a parsing issue and what he was actually saying was that he'd never seen England play - being an evening news presenter would definitely reduce chances to even see games on TV let alone live as you're going to be on-air for a hell of a lot of them.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Shirley we need a statue.

This one will do.

article-2285180-002D73BA000004B0-945_306x432.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Instead of Sir Larry a better candidate might be Sir Alec Guinness. Educated at Bexhill and Eastbourne and lived in Midhurst. I'd be quite chuffed if it were revealed that he supported the Albion.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

In the same way that it does for hundreds of thousand Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man C and Liverpool supporters!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Instead of Sir Larry a better candidate might be Sir Alec Guinness. Educated at Bexhill and Eastbourne and lived in Midhurst. I'd be quite chuffed if it were revealed that he supported the Albion.

We could use a bit of the force right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here