Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Racism on the rise in Britain

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"British Social Attitudes survey finds proportion of people in the UK who say they are racially prejudiced has risen since 2001"

"The proportion of Britons who admit to being racially prejudiced has risen since the start of the millennium, raising concerns that growing hostility to immigrants and widespread Islamophobia have set community relations back 20 years."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/27/-sp-racism-on-rise-in-britain

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
More people to receive the prejudice I guess. 13 years is a long time.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I notice some of the biggest rises are in Wales and Scotland could that be against the English maybe. Also let's not forget that certain immigrants who have come here to settle also have strong views and prejudices against others, I have seen this first hand in London between different African backgrounds, also some Polish people have very strong views although we should single no one race to be better or worse. I think it is very wrong of the Guardian to have covered faces with the St George on implying it is just right wing English people who are racists, it simple is not that simple or fair.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I notice some of the biggest rises are in Wales and Scotland could that be against the English maybe. Also let's not forget that certain immigrants who have come here to settle also have strong views and prejudices against others, I have seen this first hand in London between different African backgrounds, also some Polish people have very strong views although we should single no one race to be better or worse. I think it is very wrong of the Guardian to have covered faces with the St George on implying it is just right wing English people who are racists, it simple is not that simple or fair.

I agree. It's not us English that are racists, it's all the bloody foreigners.:smile:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That survey is utter b0ll0cks!!!!!! It says halfway down how they compile the data, they actually post surveys out and ask people if they think they are prejudiced or not :facepalm:

It seems like these survey groups only exist to provde some headlines for the papers.

Can we really measure racial prejudice?

Alison Park, research group director at NatCen Social Research and co-director of the British Social Attitudes survey, says: "The British Social Attitudes survey records self-reported levels of racism. We ask during a face-to-face interview: 'How would you describe yourself … as very prejudiced against people of other races, a little prejudiced, or not prejudiced at all?' To get to the findings that have made headlines today, we grouped those who describe themselves as 'a little' and 'very' prejudiced into a single category ('some prejudice').

"To get our sample each year, addresses are randomly selected from the Post Office’s postcode address file. We write to the inhabitants, and then it is up to our interviewers to knock on their doors and convince people to take part. We usually interview around 3,300 people each year. Once the survey is over we compare the profile of the people we have spoken to with the true demographic makeup of Britain (as recorded by the census) to make sure that our results are properly representative."

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
That survey is utter b0ll0cks!!!!!! It says halfway down how they compile the data, they actually post surveys out and ask people if they think they are prejudiced or not :facepalm:

It seems like these survey groups only exist to provde some headlines for the papers.

Err, how else do you think surveys are conducted, by asking someone else? Having used the same method 2001, it will it demonstrates any shift in opinion. Most people will respond honestly to that question.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
dxcjnp.jpg

How to misinterpret time-series data:

1. Take the data
2. Find the minimum point
3. Compare it to present day
4. Ignore all else

Really is a masterclass in bad statistics. Look at the variance!
Good news everyone, people are LESS racist than 2002.

Of course the timing doesn't surprise me from a left-leaning national paper two days after a notable UKIP victory.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

What do you expect, people to stand in the high street and canvas opinion?

:ffsparr:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That survey is utter b0ll0cks!!!!!!

and the reporting worse. so its risen since the millenium, but lower than 5 years ago. trouble with the whole idea is that racism and prejudice itself has changed, with more "races" counted nowadays. its also fails to recognise the possiblity of positive or indifferent prejudices.

Jan 30, 2008
"British Social Attitudes survey finds proportion of people in the UK who say they are racially prejudiced has risen since 2001"

"The proportion of Britons who admit to being racially prejudiced has risen since the start of the millennium, raising concerns that growing hostility to immigrants and widespread Islamophobia have set community relations back 20 years."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/27/-sp-racism-on-rise-in-britain
gated communities , inner city ghettos ???
regards
DR

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Dear Christ what a shit use of data to prove sweet FA. Utter turd.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Err, how else do you think surveys are conducted, by asking someone else? Having used the same method 2001, it will it demonstrates any shift in opinion. Most people will respond honestly to that question.

Having read it again it looks like they actually turn up on your doorstep once you've agreed. That is a side issue though, my point is that they're asking a ridiculously subjective question based on a person's own interpretation of what constitutes prejudice and then presenting it as evidence of increased/decreased prejudice across society. No mention of how this prejudice manifests itself. You can't read people's minds!

This question: "How would you describe yourself … as very prejudiced against people of other races, a little prejudiced, or not prejudiced at all" What the f**k does that even mean!?!?!? Ask 100 people that question and you will get 100 different interpreations of it. They even manage to lump all the people who answered "a little" and "very" prejudiced into the same category. Most NSC polls are better than that.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We British are Heinz 57 and before you make a racial remarks do your family history not many of us are pure English people. I am proud of being British but I have family connection all over the world. Yes we need to control our boarders so that the ones who want to work and better their lives are excepted but thieves rapist and spongers are not welcome.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The survey was in the Guardian, what sort of outcome would anyone expect.

I think it's a pretty shoddy survey - for reasons already pointed out - but it's not the Guardian's. It's from the usually reliable NatCen Research - they've dropped a bollock with this one though

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Very few people have no prejudices, most of the people surveyed are lying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here