Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rolf Harris trial: Entertainer sings in witness box as he takes stand to deny indecent ass

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Rolf Harris has told a jury of his rise to stardom and even sang a part of one of his famous comedy songs as he gave evidence for the first time in his indecent assault trial.

Harris is charged with 12 counts of indecent assault against four girls and young women between 1968 and 1986, many of whom say they were too intimidated by his fame to go to the police.

He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Harris's defence counsel Sonia Woodley QC began by asking the defendant about his biography.

As he recounted his early hits and television successes, an animated Harris brought smiles to the court with his anecdotes, a rendition of part of the song Jake the Peg and an impersonation of the sound of his famous wobble board.

At one point the 84-year-old apologised for "waxing a little lyrical" with his answers.

I wonder if the Jury had asked for an Encore :whistle:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting thread title

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's hard to fathom why the Judge allowed him to sing. What relevance can it have had to his defence against the charges laid?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
It's hard to fathom why the Judge allowed him to sing. What relevance can it have had to his defence against the charges laid?

I wonder what actions he did to accompany the song !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
CourtNewsUK ‏@CourtNewsUK 6h
#Rolf jury appear bemused as he demonstrates wobble board acton with sound effects.

CourtNewsUK ‏@CourtNewsUK 6h
#Rolf apologises for 'waxing a bit too lyrical' in his answers. Is now treating court to rendition of 'Jake The Pegg'. Jurors stony faced.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Singing in public - send him down.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I'm 50 and my youngest daughter is 14. If I've understood what I heard of today's proceedings correctly, what Rolf has admitted to today would be the same as me having "consentual" relations with my daughter's best mate in 4 years time. I can't imagine many things less appropriate or more of a breach of trust than that. Some defence!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm 50 and my youngest daughter is 14. If I've understood what I heard of today's proceedings correctly, what Rolf has admitted to today would be the same as me having "consentual" relations with my daughter's best mate in 4 years time. I can't imagine many things less appropriate or more of a breach of trust than that. Some defence!

It's not illegal though.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Exactly my thoughts. Bizarre. I follow that court news account on twitter and didn't quite believe it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I can only imagine he was instructed by his legal team to somehow try and remind the Jury of his lovely, cosy public persona? If so, comprehensively misjudged as if I was sitting in the jury I'd be thinking, apart from his songs being shite, that he was grossly disrespecting the charges he has been bought up on. Not to mention the waste of everyone's time. Very odd behaviour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here