Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Clement to turn down West Brom and Brighton to stay at Real Madrid

From The Guardian
Paul Clement is set to turn down interest from West Bromwich Albion, as well as Brighton and Hove Albion, in luring him into management with the Englishman’s instinct to remain as Carlo Ancelotti’s assistant at Real Madrid for another season.

The Spanish club’s number two is a key member of Ancelotti’s back-room staff having worked with the Italian, and won major trophies, at Chelsea, Paris St Germain and now Real.

His progress has been noted by clubs in England, with West Brom understood to have sounded him out over replacing the sacked Pepe Mel at the Hawthorns, and Brighton seeking to ascertain his availability following the resignation of Oscar Garcia, after their failure to gain promotion via the play-offs earlier this month.

Their hopes had arguably been encouraged by Clement, 42, suggesting in the wake of Saturday’s Champions League triumph over Atletico Madrid that the time was coming for him to branch out on his own, most likely back in England.

“I think it’s soon, it will be soon,” he had said. “Will it be England? I don’t rule out anything. More than likely in England, although if a nice opportunity came up in another country I wouldn’t rule it out. I’ve enjoyed working in France and Spain as well.”

Yet, in the wake of Real claiming their 10th European Cup which ensured Ancelotti will stay at the Bernabeu next term, the former PE teacher from Sutton does anticipate remaining in Spain for at least one more season.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If that is true i'm delighted about it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Odds are that this is based upon nothing more than his radio interview, which in turn told us nothing other than that he's keeping his cards close to his chest.

It doesn't mean he's staying or that he's going. Carry on, everyone.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Good. The guy has no management experience and we can't afford to gamble on him.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Excellent, I suspect he's aware what a "failure" on his CV would do for his future, and let's face it: the perceived gamble with regard to his appointment would be just that from his point of view too. I live in hope that we appoint a manager with experience of getting out of this division, and given what's happened re the previous two appointments that would be the logical and sensible move. So Keegan it is then.

Kosh

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here