Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blood completely drained, surgery completed, blood put back in, go home! (hopefully)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Quite an interesting 'experiment' will start to take place this week for people with a 7% or less chance of surviving their knife wound or gunshot injuries...

Doctors will try to save the lives of 10 patients with knife or gunshot wounds by placing them in suspended animation, buying time to fix their injuries

NEITHER dead or alive, knife-wound or gunshot victims will be cooled down and placed in suspended animation later this month, as a groundbreaking emergency technique is tested out for the first time.

Surgeons are now on call at the UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to perform the operation, which will buy doctors time to fix injuries that would otherwise be lethal.

"We are suspending life, but we don't like to call it suspended animation because it sounds like science fiction," says Samuel Tisherman, a surgeon at the hospital, who is leading the trial. "So we call it emergency preservation and resuscitation."

more here..... http://www.newscientist.com/article...ween-life-and-death.html?full=true#bx296230B1

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hope this is more successful than the recent attempts on death row

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
"We are suspending life, but we don't like to call it suspended animation because it sounds like science fiction," says Holly, the ship's computer.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Did it work?

That article was in March. Or does it say somewhere in there it happens the end of May?

Good spot, my eyes registered March as May! I will investigate further. :)

Edit: I can't find any updated articles, maybe a surgical paper is being prepared for review or possibly the right 'victim' hasn't been brought in to the Emergency room yet.

Last edited:

malleus24

Jul 27, 2013
Won't that cause damage to the brain?

If they're cooled down quickly enough they should suffer no lasting brain damage. People have made complete recoveries from being submerged in freezing water for hours - see the case of Anna Bågenholm, the Norwegian doctor who was under ice for 80minutes. There has been a lot of research into the effects of cooling the brain, for instance in stroke cases they're thinking of giving paramedics equipment to cool down the brain until they reach hospital because it has such a good effect of preserving brain tissue. If the cases do have brain damage the likelihood is that it was due to the loss of blood before they got to hospital, but they'll probably select the patients very carefully to get the best results!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If it works, I can't see why it could not be extended to include those suffering with internal bleeding after a car crash for example. I'm not medically trained so might be way off though.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If it works, I can't see why it could not be extended to include those suffering with internal bleeding after a car crash for example. I'm not medically trained so might be way off though.

I saw a programme on TV years ago where a young lad was hit by a car in Canada - don't remember the details apart from he was stuck in a snow-filled ditch for an extended period of time and the emergency team stated that being kept cold definitely saved his life. I think he was trapped / pinned somehow and it took them a while to free him.

I guess there must be a fine line from being kept cold and the onset of irreversible hypothermia?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I was a bit worried when I saw the title of this thread, and that I know the OP well. I thought you were referring to yourself. I was going to respond with some get well banter. Quite relieved when I saw it wasn't you!
Anyway, wishing you all the best CG!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here