Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradshaws Brighton- Railways of 1938

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I know there are a few train enthusiasts on NSC, so I thought a post worthy.

Not so long ago I obtained a copy of the 1938 edition. As the country was not long away from war, it made fascinating reading.

I've written a piece about it, including a few of the train times (that would interestingly compare with nowadays) and some pictures too.

http://brightonlines.wordpress.com/2014/02/22/bradshaws-brighton-the-golden-age-of-rail-1938/

Bradshaws, although merely a listings directory, is a fascinating snapshot of the transient lifestyles of those at the time.

If anyone, living in locations of old disused stations, wanted to know some of their service times from that period, I'd be happy to look them up for you.

Ok here's a couple for you.

How many trains on a Saturday afternoon between Brighton and Falmer to arrive before kick off, how many back after 5p.m.

What time would I need to leave Crowborough to get to Falmer for 3 p.m. on a Saturday, what time would I get home after the theoretical match.

In fairness I don't expect there was very much at Falmer in 1938 to warrant trains stopping there.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I know there are a few train enthusiasts on NSC, so I thought a post worthy.

Not so long ago I obtained a copy of the 1938 edition. As the country was not long away from war, it made fascinating reading.

I've written a piece about it, including a few of the train times (that would interestingly compare with nowadays) and some pictures too.

http://brightonlines.wordpress.com/2014/02/22/bradshaws-brighton-the-golden-age-of-rail-1938/

Bradshaws, although merely a listings directory, is a fascinating snapshot of the transient lifestyles of those at the time.

If anyone, living in locations of old disused stations, wanted to know some of their service times from that period, I'd be happy to look them up for you.
Good hit...if you want a good documentary on old railway,look up Dumpman films,has terrific films of old Brighton from the West Pier to old railway in Sussex.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Ok here's a couple for you.

How many trains on a Saturday afternoon between Brighton and Falmer to arrive before kick off, how many back after 5p.m.

What time would I need to leave Crowborough to get to Falmer for 3 p.m. on a Saturday, what time would I get home after the theoretical match.

In fairness I don't expect there was very much at Falmer in 1938 to warrant trains stopping there.

Brighton 1244-1251 Falmer
Then: 1314-1321

That's it for a 15.00 kick-off.

Leave Crowborough & Jarvis Brook at 11.54 to connect to the 13.14.

To Crowborough:

Falmer 1717-1724 Brighton
Brighton 1736-1832 Crowborough & Jarvis Brook (Direct)

Ironically the last set of times from Brighton to Crowborough were Saturday only.... It's as if they were trying to send a message across the ages...

Last edited:

Couldn't I have changed at Lewes rather than doubling back (anorak alert!)

Of the lines that remain open today how do the service levels compare - was there 5 trains an hour to Lewes from Brighton for example, I suspect not.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Couldn't I have changed at Lewes rather than doubling back (anorak alert!)

Of the lines that remain open today how do the service levels compare - was there 5 trains an hour to Lewes from Brighton for example, I suspect not.

You were correct about the lack of trains at Falmer. That's why you had to come back.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
How long was the journey from Eastbourne to London ?

Between 1hr 26 minutes and 1hr 40 minutes, from what I've taken a quick look at.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Yet no one in St James’s Street is the same as the next, and their relationships to each other show that unique souls in our culture can co exist without need for purpose built ‘inclusiveness’ or ‘tolerance’ or indeed any other hollow sound bite.

The people of this street just exist and are unaffected by the next person. It’s a Street with a heart that’s beat is strong, despite the darkness of its diet.

I don’t care; I love St James’s Street.

Sorry nothing to do with trains but owning a shop in St James's Street agree with that from your site

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks, so 1930 trains were 9 minutes quicker than 2014 trains.

The fastest appears to serve only East Croydon. That said, there does seem to be little difference in a number of routes.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Yet no one in St James’s Street is the same as the next, and their relationships to each other show that unique souls in our culture can co exist without need for purpose built ‘inclusiveness’ or ‘tolerance’ or indeed any other hollow sound bite.

The people of this street just exist and are unaffected by the next person. It’s a Street with a heart that’s beat is strong, despite the darkness of its diet.

I don’t care; I love St James’s Street.

Sorry nothing to do with trains but owning a shop in St James's Street agree with that from your site

Thanks, it's a strongly held view. I know there are a lot of social issues in that area, but it also has a lot of positive appeal. I like the independent trade that goes on, and that when you take a walk up the street there are so many contrasts in all its facets of character. For me St James's Street is an experience, Western Road/Churchill Square is a chore. Whatever you trade there, I hope it's serving you well.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Interesting to see the route of the proposed Ouse Valley line on there; shame it never happened, apart from the odd embankment here and there.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I enjoyed reading this. As someone who has lived a fair chunk of my life near to where the Kemp Town railway line crossed, it is good to read about some of its history. I've enjoyed reading your other blog pieces too. Keep up the good work!

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I enjoyed reading this. As someone who has lived a fair chunk of my life near to where the Kemp Town railway line crossed, it is good to read about some of its history. I've enjoyed reading your other blog pieces too. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. One of the reasons I haven't written much about the Kemptown railway itself is because there are so many outstanding online resources already. Except to say that as kids we used to play up on Lewes Road Viaduct, whilst it still existed. Health and safety officers would have gone ballistic nowadays.

D

Deleted User X18H

I have a very early memory of jumping down on the track at Brighton with my old man. I think it was the final running of the Kemp Town branch which I think was 1973 or 74 . Not sure if we did the trip bit went to the open day . There literally no one who can verify this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here