Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Magic Rock Brewing - Clown Juice - be afraid

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Now i love nearly everything that comes out from the great guys at Magic Rock Brewing but this stuff, Clown Juice their wheat beer offering is just great go easy on it though as 7% after three pints I was wobbling.

That is all

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Good job they didn't have any of their beers on when I met you in the Kings Head, or that Thursday could've got really out of hand!!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
7% - pah breakfast beer! I've long advocated drinking beers of similar ABV to wine (9-14.5% is my prefered range). The trick is to treat it as one would a pint of wine and take your time. I reckon the main reason that there are stronger British beers these days is the rise of American craft beers, which British brewers look to for inspiration these days. American beer has always been much stronger (and nicer) than British stuff, but it's only in the past five years that mainstream drinkers have caught on to this. Also, it's only really the UK that has a culture of piss weak beers. 3.5% milds would be laughed at anywhere else, and 6-7% is pretty standard for the rest of the world. Can recommend the 9% Brodie's mocha milk stout if it's still on at the Evening Star...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
American beer has always been much stronger (and nicer) than British stuff, but it's only in the past five years that mainstream drinkers have caught on to this. Also, it's only really the UK that has a culture of piss weak beers. 3.5% milds would be laughed at anywhere else, and 6-7% is pretty standard for the rest of the world. Can recommend the 9% Brodie's mocha milk stout if it's still on at the Evening Star...

Where to start. Most popular Yankee beers are awful, as are most popular UK beers but both countries have decent minority beers and have both weak and strong. Have you tried Harveys strong mild/porter?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
7% - pah breakfast beer! I've long advocated drinking beers of similar ABV to wine (9-14.5% is my prefered range). The trick is to treat it as one would a pint of wine and take your time. I reckon the main reason that there are stronger British beers these days is the rise of American craft beers, which British brewers look to for inspiration these days. American beer has always been much stronger (and nicer) than British stuff, but it's only in the past five years that mainstream drinkers have caught on to this. Also, it's only really the UK that has a culture of piss weak beers. 3.5% milds would be laughed at anywhere else, and 6-7% is pretty standard for the rest of the world. Can recommend the 9% Brodie's mocha milk stout if it's still on at the Evening Star...

I was drinking some lovely stouts north of 10% ABV on Sunday afternoon.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Brewdog have two absolute shockers.

Sink the Bismark
Tactical Nuclear Penguin

Both circa 42%ABV , they are oak aged beers which after 1 year are then freeze concentrated.

They sell them at £5 a 25cl shot.

Yuk but very very potent.

I personally like two sorts of beers

Session one that are max 4% for a drink out watching footy etc

and

Seriouser ones circa 5% that whisper 'caution laddie'.

If you get a chance to try a new beer called 'Regnitz' from the genius Kelburn Brewery, then please do. It is quite sumptious!

TNBA

TTF

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Brewdog have two absolute shockers.

Sink the Bismark
Tactical Nuclear Penguin

Both circa 42%ABV , they are oak aged beers which after 1 year are then freeze concentrated.

They sell them at £5 a 25cl shot.

Yuk but very very potent.

I personally like two sorts of beers

Session one that are max 4% for a drink out watching footy etc

and

Seriouser ones circa 5% that whisper 'caution laddie'.

If you get a chance to try a new beer called 'Regnitz' from the genius Kelburn Brewery, then please do. It is quite sumptious!

TNBA

TTF

Both taste like cough syrup, both drunk by numpties who think it's clever to drink them like bloody Jagerbombs. Awful stuff

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Now i love nearly everything that comes out from the great guys at Magic Rock Brewing but this stuff, Clown Juice their wheat beer offering is just great go easy on it though as 7% after three pints I was wobbling.

That is all

You are in Huddersfield, so this is unfair. Particularly as they don't seem to sell their rather glorious beers in bottles.

They've got Magic Rock at The Southover. Anywhere else?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Call me a cynic but one wonders where any huge debate about ABV crosses that line between a true appreciation of taste and just some macho nonsense about how strong you like it. Similar to people insisting that only real men eat a phal curry.

Of course I'm spouting this opinion as I love Corona lager.........I'll get my coat

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Call me a cynic but one wonders where any huge debate about ABV crosses that line between a true appreciation of taste and just some macho nonsense about how strong you like it. Similar to people insisting that only real men eat a phal curry.

Of course I'm spouting this opinion as I love Corona lager.........I'll get my coat

I do think craft beer is more about taste than machismo. And the stength does play a bit part in the taste of some beers. A good citra hopped beer needs to be a healthy 6-7% in my opinon. And some of the stouts I like are better for their alcohol. I see where you are coming from though, and can understand some criticisms of craft drinkers but by and large we aint a macho bunch.

No if memory serves me correctly you're a Maiden fan. Have you tried their Trooper ale?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But I do like a hot curry though. I have spent some time in the midlands recently and the Al Frash lamb vindaloo is one of the best dishes I have had in ages; a perfect balance of taste, sweetness and heat.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I like strong beers and hot curries.

Oy oy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here