Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Food in Barcelona

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Basically, as the title suggests, i'm looking to NSC's collective minds to help. I'm visiting my girlfriend next week, who is in Barcelona atm and i'd like some recommendations as to good restaurants that we can visit. Any types of food recommendations, it doesn't matter as we eat most things (no joke intended).

Thanks

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Los Caracoles in the Ramblas was very good when I was last there. There is also an EXCELLENT restaurant Porta Gaig in Terminal 1 at Barcelona Airport. Voted in the top two airport restaurants in the world over the last couple of years. Worth knowing if you are flying in and out of Barcelona. It is not airside so perfect if you are being dropped or picked up at the airport around food time.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Café Schilling in Carrer de Ferran has quite nice atmosphere and affordable bistro food and street views. Take a walk around Rambla de Raval in the evening for alfresco dining, lots of restaurants border the square, plenty of choice. Also a few nice places and tapas bars near Placa de Santa Maria near the Basilica but basically just wander around and explore, spoilt for choice. Restaurant 7 Portes in Passeig d'Isabel (see online) is traditionally the best for paella, though not cheap.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
surely you will be too busy battering her ramparts in to eat....apart from a bit of muff perhaps...?

Well yes, but inbetween sessions we will need to get some food to build our energy levels back up. I can only provide her with so much protein at a time :thumbsup:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Two top tourist recommendations from me. Both have stunning views and at least when I visited top class food. Both are expensive, but if you balance this out over the course of a trip eating at some of the many reasonable priced eateries, maybe the bank cards won't quite go into melt down.

http://www.restaurantelaventa.com/eo/ - For many people this one is too much of a trek, but I love Mount Tibidabo. If you don't eat here, visit the bar opposite for stunning views, down over Barcelona, which can be a little daunting for those scared of heights. Alternatively take the funicular to the top and enjoy the old fashioned theme park.

http://www.torredealtamar.com/ This restaurant is housed inside the station for the cable car that descends into the harbour. This is not the sort of place you will forget about in a hurry. Book in advance for a truly memorable night.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'll let you into a big Barcelona secret: Restaurante Salamanca, it's just off the beaten track down near the beach but it's a restaurant that has been established for donkey's years and has legendary status. My girlfriend who is from there took me there at Christmas and the paella is particularly recommended. Make sure you go to the actual restaurant and not the bar over the road.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Do you have any cooking facilities? If so, I would recommend visiting the world famous Boqueria market off the Ramblas and buying some fresh stuff there. In fact just go there and go to one of the stalls where you can sit and eat proper spanish street food if not.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'd go for the Born/Ribera area, to the east of the Via Laetana, which in turn runs north to south to the east of the old city. Mate and I went to the Picasso Museum, then ended up in a square by the Mercat de Santa Caterina. It's true that this was in 2007, but we had beers there for just €1.60. We then went to the market workers' cafe for lunch. I had paella and black cod (a local speciality), while he had pasta and chicken dishes, and we also had a bottle of house wine. The bill was just €23. With a €2 tip, a main meal for just €25 was superb value I thought. Of course, if it's still there, the prices will have gone up, but it was tremendous value.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not very secret but the famous La Boqueria Market is a great place to have breakfast if you are up early enough to avoid the tourists and their cameras. Just wander around and you will come across little kiosks; a coffee and some fresh grilled seafood is my favourite. A great place, and way, to start the day.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
We went 2 years ago and this was our favourite which was recommended by locals on a bike tour we went on and we went there twice during the week as it was so good the first time. It is small though and you will need to book. http://www.sensi.es/tapas/

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
La Fianna, in the gotico area. Really good food and a cocktail bar next to the restaurant. The place I normally take my chica.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I'll let you into a big Barcelona secret: Restaurante Salamanca, it's just off the beaten track down near the beach but it's a restaurant that has been established for donkey's years and has legendary status. My girlfriend who is from there took me there at Christmas and the paella is particularly recommended. Make sure you go to the actual restaurant and not the bar over the road.

Couldn't agree more, best paella in town. Always full of locals too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
La Pepita was one of my fave restaurants in Barcelona. Incredible meal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here