Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solar Roadways - The future of energy production?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Would be costly to install initially and not sure if viable at latitudes where winter nights can be long, but has to be worth pursuing, surely?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Loving that!

Trying to think of negatives. So far, without giving it too much thought, all I can come up with is yet more light pollution from all those lights in the road, and I'm not entirely convinced that riding a bike on "Solar Freakin' Roadways" will be a better experience - looks either hard work on the bobbly panels or just very slippy on the non bobbly ones. Mind you, the state of most tarmac roads are not great for cycling on at the moment.

A counter argument video would be good to see, but the principal of using all that hard landscape space for solar panelling rather than fields is superb.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
It's fun to think about...can we make a list of the potential limits/negatives?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think that if Tony wouldn't mind paying for it, then we should set it up at the Amex. The fella claims that each panel has a life span of about 21 years and will break even over its lifetime.

One of our biggest expenses at the Amex is the electric (I think I heard its about £3 million a year). We could be the place to rest it out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if they've come up with a technology that doesnt uses a grippy non-glass surface, doesnt need replacing every 10 years or so due to wear, and cleans itself to remain efficient, its a great idea.

in reality, cant see how this will work for main roads. maybe for car parks or pavements where the wear and grip requiment is significantly lower. however even if all those problems are solved, given existing solar tech needs a massive subsidy to compete with gas and coal, im sceptical how it will ever pay for itself.

its a no from me.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I think that if Tony wouldn't mind paying for it, then we should set it up at the Amex. The fella claims that each panel has a life span of about 21 years and will break even over its lifetime.

One of our biggest expenses at the Amex is the electric (I think I heard its about £3 million a year). We could be the place to rest it out.

£3 million a year? I wonder if I can have their Nectar points.:cool:

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
if they've come up with a technology that doesnt uses a grippy non-glass surface, doesnt need replacing every 10 years or so due to wear, and cleans itself to remain efficient, its a great idea.

in reality, cant see how this will work for main roads. maybe for car parks or pavements where the wear and grip requiment is significantly lower. however even if all those problems are solved, given existing solar tech needs a massive subsidy to compete with gas and coal, im sceptical how it will ever pay for itself.

its a no from me.

Ah, I see. One of the business as usual brigade.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
No downside I can see...oh yeah...the big energy companies will hate it so will **** it over somehow.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I like the idea but it seems incredibly cost prohibitive. And don't solar panels require precious metals (or something to that effect) to produce? Might not be as green as advertised.

And I'm sceptical as to how the panels will hold up to constant motorway traffic. But its an interesting concept with some great potential!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
What about the unit cost ? Energy yeild? Zero figures in this YouTube report and everyone is declaring it's the best thing ever.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
What about the unit cost ? Energy yeild? Zero figures in this YouTube report and everyone is declaring it's the best thing ever.

Well it did say that it would pay itself off and generate capital. It also then went on to say that if all US roadways were converted to these panels it would produce 3 times the current US energy needs which is a figure of sorts.

I suppose it boils down to whether you want to be optimistic or sceptical of the idea. I'm definitely optimistic about it :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6369810 said:
Ah, I see. One of the business as usual brigade.

no. ive since read their indigogo and some of the points are being covered. but at the end of the day, for this to work as expected it has to be cheaper to deploy the panels than tarmac. i think actually they have a problem in being too grand, so not focusing on delivery, then growing and developing the technology. i think aiming for home drives, car parks etc would delivery a more realistic and achivable project. this seems to think it can solve energy, flash floods (dont think they understand that), mobile phone and internet access problems to the world. who is going to pay to fit these out in the shires where currently they re-surface the road once in a generation. its a great idea they have, im afraid its not adressing economic reality (technology permitting) of delivery. put another way, why arent there already ubiquitous solar panels on every roof in the land? because they arent cost effective or produce enough viable energy (needs storage, major glitch*), and as far as i can see this project doesnt address the underlying limitations of the technology.

*really, really big problem with the whole idea as sold (not the potential of the panels per se). i see claims of homes being "off grid" but without storage they would rely on the grid at night. the matter of how much energy could be produced feels a bit theoretical, lack of concrete numbers raises eyebrows. the question to ask is, can enough panels be created for less energy and cost than current road construction and power generation. usually with such ideas, they dont scale up, they work in the lab or on small scale (with say waste produce) but fail when you need to substantially increasing the output. cf. biofuels.

Last edited:

BrandonCru

Sep 8, 2014
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6369439 said:
If you can get over how incredibly annoying the voice over guy is, this seems like an absolutely fantastic idea, and a genuinely possible way to provide clean energy.

[yt]qlTA3rnpgzU[/yt]
Definitely it is the future of energy generation and it is the green way to solve our power problems..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here