Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daniel Sturridge

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Just heard him being interviewed on the radio. Said he had a lot of time on his hands in the build up to the World Cud, so he might start learning some Spanish :lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps it's a language that's always appealed to him.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Just heard him being interviewed on the radio. Said he had a lot of time on his hands in the build up to the World Cud, so he might start learning some Spanish :lolol:

In fairness to Sturridge, he does go out and do things in his spare time. I saw a video of him recently going to a school in Liverpool and speaking to the kids there, although there was this 8 year old girl who was an Everton fan who gave him a bit of stick which was quite amusing.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

Sorry if I'm being a but dim but whys that funny?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry if I'm being a but dim but whys that funny?

I think he's suggesting that Sturridge is planning to learn Spanish to help him out in Brazil.

Personally, I find it quite refreshing that a footballer- and let's face it, our footballers aren't generally renowned for their educational prowess- is keen to broaden his linguistic skills. Perhaps it's a bit of prudent career planning and he's considering a future move to Spain.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
*Cup.

I can make a fool of myself like the best of them. It just tickled me. Apologies to those i've offended :blush:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's a career move, is my guess.

In cycle racing, AFAIK the peloton speaks Italian, and English, regardless of where they race, though the technical term (domestiques, eg.) tend for historical reasons to the French.

I would guess in the top flight of football, it's Spanish and English, at least these days.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Perhaps he thinks it will help improve his partnership with Suarez? Or just to engage more with the other spanish speaking players in the Liverpool squad. It's the most popular language for which he wouldn't need to learn a new alphabet. There are plenty of reasons to learn Spanish. Unless he actually said he wanted to learn Spanish because he thinks that's what they speak there, or strongly hinted at that, I don't see why you should assume his wanting to learn spanish in his free time is because he thought they speak it in Brazil.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
They speak Portuguese in Brazil, not spanish.

But it doesn't say anywhere that his wanting to learn Spanish has any connection to this year's World Cup in Brazil!

Let's face it, he is more likely to use Spanish than Portuguese down the line, sounds like a very well-informed piece of self-improvement to me!

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
But it doesn't say anywhere that his wanting to learn Spanish has any connection to this year's World Cup in Brazil!

Let's face it, he is more likely to use Spanish than Portuguese down the line, sounds like a very well-informed piece of self-improvement to me!

The interview was about the England team preparing for Brazil, so...

He certainly didn't say "By the way i've got some spare time on my hands so i might start to brush up on a bit of Spanish, just in case Real Madrid snap me up one day".

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In fairness to Sturridge, he does go out and do things in his spare time. I saw a video of him recently going to a school in Liverpool and speaking to the kids there, although there was this 8 year old girl who was an Everton fan who gave him a bit of stick which was quite amusing.

I saw that too. A class act. Those kids didn't know before about his visit, and it was great to see their shocked then ecstatic faces when they turned around.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
So players are laughed at for apparently being 'thick' and yet when one wants to start learning a new language they get laughed at?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
So players are laughed at for apparently being 'thick' and yet when one wants to start learning a new language they get laughed at?

As I said earlier we all have our Trigger moments. I'm not looking for Sturridge to be publicly flogged. It just made me chuckle. Sounds like he's a pilar of the community judging by some of the other comments on this thread.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

He certainly didn't say "By the way i've got some spare time on my hands so i might start to brush up on a bit of Spanish, just in case Real Madrid snap me up one day".

Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from. It's just a little but tenuous!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

But in the original post you put "Said he had a lot of time on his hands in the build up to the World [Cup], so he might start learning some Spanish", that is no more "got spare time so going to learn spanish to speak in brazil" than it is "... in case real madrid snap me up". The only link between him learning to speak spanish, and him thinking it will help him in Brazil is in your mind. Which would explain why so many people didn't understand why you found it funny.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
But in the original post you put "Said he had a lot of time on his hands in the build up to the World [Cup], so he might start learning some Spanish", that is no more "got spare time so going to learn spanish to speak in brazil" than it is "... in case real madrid snap me up". The only link between him learning to speak spanish, and him thinking it will help him in Brazil is in your mind. Which would explain why so many people didn't understand why you found it funny.

Jeez, some of the people on this forum need to get laid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here