Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'American' fridge freezers

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What's there to know about these things, to look out and what's good and bad?

If they do water and ice, is it a major bind to get them plumbed in, if where they are going is nowhere near an existing water point?

Fanks.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Aussie ones are the same. I went for economy rating, non plumbed water, no ice as plumbing was going to be a pain. Capacity, they can look big but not have a great capacity. Also looked at regular items I wanted to store and checked shelves for height like drink bottles and milk etc.

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
Spend the extra money and get one with 2 compressors. Worth it the long run for maintenance purposes. Can't advise about the plumbing as ours doesn't do that as we needed Max space inside the unit.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The plumbed-in ice making equipment is huge - it takes up a large part of your freezer space that could otherwise be used for leftover turkey and bottles of vodka.

Generally, the internal space is somewhat disappointing given the cabinet size, unless you go for the really expensive ones that have this sorted.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
One word of advice I will give is make sure the one you choose will actually go through door openings/round corners when it's being put in.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I got a Miele fridge - there wasn't a problem having it plumbed in and you've got ice water and ice on tap as it were. Wouldn't be without it now.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
I bought a samsung american style fridge last year and I'm very happy with the amount of food we can get in. My one doesn't get plumbed in which i wish we had gone for as the water tap on the front is great for my two kids to get their drinks quick and easy. Best fridge/freezer I've had.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
By a strange quirk, I have my freezer stuffed full of a friends frozen food after her 'American style' Fridge freezer went belly up twice in two weeks. The second time, she came home to a flood on the kitchen floor. Great thing to happen before a long weekend and they can't come out to look at it until Tuesday.

Apart from that negative slant, I know nothing much about them apart from they all look big.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
We've had an Admiral one for many years now. Ice and water is fed by a very thin pipe which was run around from the sink at the bottom of the kitchen cupboards.

We bought ours from Carters online but visited their showroom on London Road to check it out first. They delivered to Worthing for us at a very small charge.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Apparently very dinosaury and very loud like a dinosaur I would suspect !!!

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Bought a SMEG some years ago. Looks larger than it is. Small freezer compartment.

You can adjust shelves and door compartment to whatever you need.

Biggest draw back is that the wine rack only holds five bottles!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As much as I fancy having ice on tap, without having to worry about making my own, I would never justify it and it's quite easy to filter your own water on demand. I'd be more inclined to have a big fridge for the freezer and stock up on homemade leftovers and what-have-you.

My freezer is tiny and I'd love to be able to freeze all the fruit and veg that can be rescued from supermarkets, that is perfectly alright to eat, but passing their sell by date. You can get some great stuff at a fraction of the price.

The Bun Elephant

Feb 16, 2010
Sussex By The Sea
I have a Bosch one
It's on wheels for assisted movement, the plumbing is really easy it's 6mm pipe work with connector to 15mm copper pipe or appliance water feed.
Make sure to site it in the kitchen so that doors can be fully opened ( past 90*) otherwise shelf altering / removal is pain and you have a small gap around it for air circulation.
As for space inside .... Enough for a family of 3 with 3 dogs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One word SMEG

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
We have a De Dietrich. Looks amazing and has a greater capacity than a standard fridge freezer. Left side is freezer / ice making right side is fridge. You will need a standard mains cold water feed with tap for connection to the water filter (which should be changed at 6 monthly intervals) Only a plumber will be able to advise on the routing of the pipe from an existing main though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here