• absolutely yes

Votes: 88 75.9%
  • absolutely no

Votes: 28 24.1%

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Apologies if this has been done,but i did a search and all i could find was how would you vote etc.

Its very simple......should there be a referendum

you can argue until your boobies fall off what actually goes in the referendum but answer at a basic level yes or no

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yes, but the problem for political parties is that people would vote for leaving and a lot of their members would lose their vastly over-paid jobs. It's the turkey/Christmas scenario.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes, but the problem for political parties is that people would vote for leaving and a lot of their members would lose their vastly over-paid jobs. It's the turkey/Christmas scenario.

Not important chap

this is not what you agree with or dont agree with

the vote is should there in principle be a referendum yes or no

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No. Why have a general election to elect who you prefer based on a balanced bundle of policies and then hold a referendum on one of those policies alone? Why can't we have a referendum on keeping the NHS public or renationalising the railways or progressing the academy and free school program or serving sausages in the Houses of Parliament canteen? Parties should state clearly whether they will stay in or out of Europe and how that will effect their other policies based on the projected financial implications. Promising a referendum isn't brave, it's a cop out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No. Why have a general election to elect who you prefer based on a balanced bundle of policies and then hold a referendum on one of those policies alone? Why can't we have a referendum on keeping the NHS public or renationalising the railways or progressing the academy and free school program or serving sausages in the Houses of Parliament canteen? Parties should state clearly whether they will stay in or out of Europe and how that will effect their other policies based on the projected financial implications. Promising a referendum isn't brave, it's a cop out.

And that's the attitude the 3 main parties have adopted for most my voting life. The result ? Well Thursday's election results are what happens and we've seen what mouth frothing, hand wringing and bed wetting has taken place because of that on here.

As for a number of referendums - it's how the Swiss do it and they seem to manage.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

I see what you are saying,but can you not see the tide has changed,we are at a crossroads of politics regarding the EU,surely a referendum for this generation who never had the chance to vote on in or our EU inclusion would at least be democratic.Perhaps i am wrong and living in cloud cuckoo land,i just dont see why its a problem asking for peoples opinions in a referendum on an issue this big.

I am very anti Europe,i do believe however if it came to a vote the pro Europeans would win......so be it.......but lets at least have a chance to vote and sort this crap out once and for all!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
And that's the attitude the 3 main parties have adopted for most my voting life. The result ? Well Thursday's election results are what happens

What, UKIP gaining what would project as 17% of the national vote (and no seats) in a general election and that based on a low turn out and local elections that were neither nationwide nor proportional. OK then. Though UKIP wouldn't bother with the referendum they'd just take us out.

and we've seen what mouth frothing, hand wringing and bed wetting has taken place because of that on here.

Agreed. Some of the paranoid xenophobia, ill informed rhetoric and repetitive nonsense from the pro UKIP brigade has been embarrassing.

As for a number of referendums - it's how the Swiss do it and they seem to manage.

They are the only democratic nation in the world with that system and as a result their general election turnout is constantly below 50% (at which point I'd suggest the government doesn't have a mandate). Ours is nearer 66%.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
And that's the attitude the 3 main parties have adopted for most my voting life. The result ? Well Thursday's election results are what happens and we've seen what mouth frothing, hand wringing and bed wetting has taken place because of that on here.

there is a lot to be said for the Swiss model,they actually love the fact they are called out every few months to vote on a referendum on this or that(and yes i know this for fact),.....back to the UK however everyone left or right should be appalled at the turnout for these elections.....makes you wonder why all of us on here argue with each other on these issues when most of the country doesnt give a shit......what is the point?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Not important chap

this is not what you agree with or dont agree with

the vote is should there in principle be a referendum yes or no

Did you read the first word in my post?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Though UKIP wouldn't bother with the referendum they'd just take us out.

What was that you said about people being ill informed ?

Well the UKIP "effect" has forced Clegg into a TV debate, Cameron to "promise" a referendum, the Greens to support a referendum and Cameron to consider inviting Farage into the live TV debates for the GE. Not too shabby for a fringe party with 17% of the vote.

Besides, the main parties could wipe UKIP out overnight with a referendum but are either too stupid or too scared to do so ( especially Labour who are strangely silent on their policies on the EU ).

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They are the only democratic nation in the world with that system and as a result their general election turnout is constantly below 50% (at which point I'd suggest the government doesn't have a mandate). Ours is nearer 66%.

But they love it....they love how the system of constant referendums works for them.....i presume at the current time of the poll you are the lone voter who thinks the electorate should not have a vote/referendum

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
But they love it....they love how the system of constant referendums works for them.....i presume at the current time of the poll you are the lone voter who thinks the electorate should not have a vote/referendum

Yes I am and you and Westdene are both making my point for me with the Swiss stuff. Either you have a system where you have referenda on everything (and low turnout on fairly irrelevant general elections) or you have a general election with a higher turnout where the protagonists cover every issue in their manifesto.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes I am and you and Westdene are both making my point for me with the Swiss stuff. Either you have a system where you have referenda on everything (and low turnout on fairly irrelevant general elections) or you have a general election with a higher turnout where the protagonists cover every issue in their manifesto.

Ok,but i think you will find the Swiss dont have a referendum on everything

I would love however to hear why you think there should be no referendum,i would like you to tell me,no one else just me why i should not have the opportunity to vote on this issue.My old man was given the option many moons ago along with the British Electorate to vote to Europe,why on earth have you decided i am not worthy?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
No - Governments are elected to make difficult decisions, based upon more data and information than most of us have the time or inclination to study....

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The real problem would apathy and ignorance, what would the turnout be?, and for those that did vote would we really get the actual facts re the issue rather than all the propaganda that both sides would trot out?

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I would love however to hear why you think there should be no referendum,i would like you to tell me,no one else just me why i should not have the opportunity to vote on this issue.My old man was given the option many moons ago along with the British Electorate to vote to Europe,why on earth have you decided i am not worthy?

But surely the UK system is such that you do have an opportunity to vote on this issue by picking a party with a clear policy on it at the next general election.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Yes. This whole issue has become a boil that needs to be lanced. An entire generation has grown up without a voice on what has become a matter of constitutional importance. It's a little like the recent vote on proportional representation, which has seemingly put that issue to bed for the foreseeable future.

I suspect that while people are generally resistant to the idea of the EU, they would probably vote to remain in it if it came down to it. That is close to my view. There is much about the EU that I dislike, primarily its habit of seemingly disregarding the views of the people, however I suspect we are so deeply embedded in the union now that it would be all but impossible to remove ourselves from it.

Either way, this issue has to be addressed as it has become a running sore in British politics that is holding all three main parties hostage. Deal with it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here