Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm concerned (about my cat...)

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Basically I have a rockery in my garden, and one of the rocks on it is essentially a bit of concrete with little stones in it, when my cat, after I feed her, goes outside, she goes to this rock in the rockery and starts LICKING it, as if she is grooming another cat, she is quite old, I wonder if its because it has water on it, but she does it when it's bone dry. I'm concerned because It may have some bacteria on it or something and she could get ill, also I fear she may be doing this because she may have slipped into a state of craziness. Does anyone know why she does this, or how to stop her? Help would be appreciated...

If your not a cat person don't spam me, I just thought this would make a change from threads about "we're gonna be a mid table team" and UKIP.

Last edited:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Basically I have a rockery in my garden, and one of the rocks on it is essentially a bit of concrete with little stones in it, when my cat, after I feed her, goes outside, she goes to this rock in the rockery and starts LICKING it, as if she is grooming another cat, she is quite old, I wonder if its because it has water on it, but she does it when it's bone dry. I'm concerned because It may have some bacteria on it or something and she could get ill, also I fear she may be doing this because she may have slipped into a state of craziness. Does anyone know why she does this, or how to stop her? Help would be appreciated...

If your not a cat person don't spam me, I just thought this would make a change from threads about "we're gonna be a mid table team" and UKIP.
Seeing as your cat also probably licks it bum hole and its nads I think rocks are an improvement in tems if bacteria.

The other response is probably correct. Some minerals, like salt, are found on rocks and cats will find it very tasty. My old cat did similar with a bit of wall in my back garden.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
My cat (who is 16 years old and losing her marbles rapidly) constantly nurses random things (which is effectively what your cat is doing). She sits on things, groom's them and cuddles up to them after. Shoe's, socks, even my iphone (although she shits herself when it vibrates!!). It's nothing to really worry about I would imagine, and to be honest, cat's have stronger constitutions than us by a long stretch - they eat grass for gods sake!!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

is the correct answer
I have had cats all my life
and still never found out why they do this
we have had several cats that adore coconut
they are very weird animals

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
My cat (who is 16 years old and losing her marbles rapidly) constantly nurses random things (which is effectively what your cat is doing). She sits on things, groom's them and cuddles up to them after. Shoe's, socks, even my iphone (although she shits herself when it vibrates!!). It's nothing to really worry about I would imagine, and to be honest, cat's have stronger constitutions than us by a long stretch - they eat grass for gods sake!!

thats because they belong to you and have your scent on them ..............they love you :lolol:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
thats because they belong to you and have your scent on them ..............they love you :lolol:

She does, I have no doubt about that.... she has to sleep right next to me, and be touching me in some way!!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It is most likely because it has water on it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
She does, I have no doubt about that.... she has to sleep right next to me, and be touching me in some way!!!

we have a struggle at night to find a decent place to sleep on our bed:)
and the oldest one has to sleep with her paw on my face

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Does your cat get enough water or do you only give it milk?

cat should not drink our milk
only non-lactose for them .................................otherwise they will get the runs very badly

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Salt is the correct answer

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Might be anaemic.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
A long time ago near the sea our bunny licked some old garden wall paint in the same way...died of lead poisoning

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Thats just wrong. You must be covered in cat hair & flea bites. :ohmy:

they are combed every day
frontlined every month
and don't buy anything black to wear
+ they very rarely meet other cats, foxes,hedgehogs or dogs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here