Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Boiler/Plumbing Advice!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Hello dear respected members!

We've recently had our Boiler serviced and I brought an issue we've had with our heating to the attention of the SSE (don't worry, i've just switched our energy away). In short, when i set the control panel to heat just the hot water and not the central heating...it does the opposite. On inspection, he's told me that we need to replace the Mid Position Valve.

Now, my dear associates. He's quoted me a price but I was wondering what this sort of work should cost and if it is a big job? I'll reveal later what i've been quoted but I want to know from those also in the know what i should expect to pay.

Thanking you muchly!

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
What type of boiler is it , and has it the smart panel control system ? i only ask as we were told the same after our gloworm boiler seemed to be working in reverse and it turned out to be a fault with the smart panel controller and not the MPV .

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
What controller brand / model do you have?

I had a problem where the heating and hot water would not come on at the same time - only separately. I changed the controller (costing £50 for a Siemens model replacing a Honeywell) and the problem was fixed.

I researched it online and apparently it's a common problem with the Honeywell model I had and I read many cases of people spending hundreds of pounds replacing parts before getting to the route of the problem.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There isn't a make on the control panel, but the boiler is a Potterton Prima F. It was the same boiler when we moved in and I think has been there for the duration of the house (mid 90's).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hello dear respected members!

We've recently had our Boiler serviced and I brought an issue we've had with our heating to the attention of the SSE (don't worry, i've just switched our energy away). In short, when i set the control panel to heat just the hot water and not the central heating...it does the opposite. On inspection, he's told me that we need to replace the Mid Position Valve.

Now, my dear associates. He's quoted me a price but I was wondering what this sort of work should cost and if it is a big job? I'll reveal later what i've been quoted but I want to know from those also in the know what i should expect to pay.

Thanking you muchly!

The price for this job should be around £300, it involves draining/ part draining the heating, removing the old valve, fitting the new valve and wiring it up.
The heating then needs refilling and testing and inhibitor added to the heating.

I bet you have been quoted about £500.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
It's a job that should take no longer than a couple of hours depending on the type of system you have. i wouldn't pay more than £200 if I was you. The fault you're describing though doesn't sound like the mid pos valve, have you had any components changed recently, i.e. timer, stats, pump etc?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The price for this job should be around £300, it involves draining/ part draining the heating, removing the old valve, fitting the new valve and wiring it up.
The heating then needs refilling and testing and inhibitor added to the heating.

I bet you have been quoted about £500.

Being UNDERCUT by the only other plumber in Newhaven----JEEZ :ohmy:
Bearing in mind you can spend a couple of hours getting rid of the air locks after you have carried out the 2 hour job:drama:
WE are ARTISANS bn9 bha and don't let them customer's forget it :drink:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Being UNDERCUT by the only other plumber in Newhaven----JEEZ :ohmy:
Bearing in mind you can spend a couple of hours getting rid of the air locks after you have carried out the 2 hour job:drama:
WE are ARTISANS bn9 bha and don't let them customer's forget it :drink:

I have seen some bad work being done by the 'so called plumbers'

image.jpg

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's a job that should take no longer than a couple of hours depending on the type of system you have. i wouldn't pay more than £200 if I was you. The fault you're describing though doesn't sound like the mid pos valve, have you had any components changed recently, i.e. timer, stats, pump etc?

Absolutely nothing, no. The immersion heats up fine, but only if we have the central heating on. I've absolutely no idea what the problem would be...i am to DIY what Ian Huntley is to childcare.

For the record, i've been quoted £230 inc vat for the work.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Absolutely nothing, no. The immersion heats up fine, but only if we have the central heating on. I've absolutely no idea what the problem would be...i am to DIY what Ian Huntley is to childcare.

For the record, i've been quoted £230 inc vat for the work.

£230 is a good price, and it sounds like it is the mid position valve or 3 way valve.
There are various makes of valve available, I usually use a Honeywell but it costs about £81+ vat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here