Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern takes over Thameslink

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Go-Via, parent company of Southern railways are being awarded the new mega-franchise which will combine the existing Southern + Gatwick Express with Thameslink and Great Northern (both currently FCC).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ssenger-services-across-london-and-south-east

I'm sure all the commuters on this board will wish to voice their congratulations..

Personally i'm pleased as I mainly use the trains off-peak and Southern some some of the better cheap fares deals around.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
While it's ludicrous to have two companies operating trains to London in the manner they do, one of which has exclusivity of ticket over the other, it will probably mean that the train to London Bridge will now cost the same at the train to Victoria, including the possibility of the £6.60 weekend ticket being scrapped. It wouldn't be so bad if the cost to Victoria was the same as the cost to London Bridge - but railway companies don't operate that way.

Joy. Such unbridled joy.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Hmmn, maybe that means I can finally use my smartcard (The Key) on my season ticket for work (as FCC don't accept them at the mo)

Do FCC not accept them on their trains? I got an email from Southern last week saying you can now use it at Blackfriars, but if you can't use it on FCC trains that seems a bit pointless!

It does make a lot of sense to have one company running all the services on the Brighton Mainline. Obviously the issue is that the company is Southern, who have done a good job in some respects but still have some way to go in areas like customer service.

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
Do FCC not accept them on their trains? I got an email from Southern last week saying you can now use it at Blackfriars, but if you can't use it on FCC trains that seems a bit pointless!

It does make a lot of sense to have one company running all the services on the Brighton Mainline. Obviously the issue is that the company is Southern, who have done a good job in some respects but still have some way to go in areas like customer service.

No, I've been stopped by ticket inspectors on FCC trains a couple of times & been told that they can't check their validity afterwards I had this confirmed by FCC's twitter team.

Is a shame as I'd prefer to use a smartcard than a paper ticket, but the majority of the peak time trains that go from Burgess Hill to London are FCC services

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
including the possibility of the £6.60 weekend ticket being scrapped.
Joy. Such unbridled joy.

This. It will effectively triple my home match travel costs if it happens.

Not a major issue if you're worried about the increased cost of a daily commute but a big impact on my 'no pay rise since 2008' austerity. :(

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wasn't the whole point of privatisation to provide competition and therefore keep prices down?

(Rather than make money for corporate shareholders as some cynics suggested at the time?)

Wasn't the whole point of privatisation to provide competition and therefore keep prices down?

(Rather than make money for corporate shareholders as some cynics suggested at the time?)

This!

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Hallelujah, I honestly can't think of anything worse in my working life than having to go to London on First Crapital Connect. I once remember a cock up on the PA and they used the late announcement along the lines of 'FCC ARE SORRY TO ANNOUNCE THAT THE XYZ TRAIN TO BRIGHTON IS RUNNING APPROXIMATELY 0 MINUTES LATE, BLAH BLAH' when the train was on time. Made me chuckle as it sounded like they had given up on the message for the train being on time and had to use a workaround!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Best decision really.

First couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and Govia were the least worst option and probably the best option for the taxpayer.

The cheaper "FCC only" tickets to London would have been scrapped even if First won as there would have been no competition. It will mean you can use the same company across most of the South and possibly Southern only fares all the way up to Bedford, Cambridge and Peterborough from the South Coast.

The name "Southern" will remain as well I'd have thought.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Hallelujah, I honestly can't think of anything worse in my working life than having to go to London on First Crapital Connect. I once remember a cock up on the PA and they used the late announcement along the lines of 'FCC ARE SORRY TO ANNOUNCE THAT THE XYZ TRAIN TO BRIGHTON IS RUNNING APPROXIMATELY 0 MINUTES LATE, BLAH BLAH' when the train was on time. Made me chuckle as it sounded like they had given up on the message for the train being on time and had to use a workaround!

I doubt it will change that much Southern(Govia)used to run Thameslink before First won the franchise. Apart from all trains now being the same colour the service will remain the same.

Nadger

Sep 4, 2003
Brighton
Hopefully positive but I bet they continue to use the class 319 sardine tins and just paint them up with Southern.

Those trains are an utter disgrace and FCC love the first off peak train from Brighton to be a four coach 319 I'm sure the staff at E̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶C̶r̶o̶y̶d̶o̶n̶ Scumvile like watching the EC train rats cause a daily fight trying to board the packed train

albionite

May 20, 2009
Hopefully positive but I bet they continue to use the class 319 sardine tins and just paint them up with Southern.

Those trains are an utter disgrace and FCC love the first off peak train from Brighton to be a four coach 319 I'm sure the staff at E̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶C̶r̶o̶y̶d̶o̶n̶ Scumvile like watching the EC train rats cause a daily fight trying to board the packed train

They should be replaced with the new seimens trains. Hopefully Southern will also get rid of the 313s but not holding my breath that this will happen quick.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
New Class 387 on the way to replace the 319, which in turn will be cascaded to another region when the new Class 700 arrives in a couple of years.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They should be replaced with the new seimens trains. Hopefully Southern will also get rid of the 313s but not holding my breath that this will happen quick.

Replaced by 2018 according to signs at London Bridge. No doubt they'll have "teething problems" and get delayed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here