Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Local Election results - UKIP smashing it

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The whole political landscape could change tonight.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Where are the results coming in? I just flicked on to sky news and they've only got one council that has declared - Labour holding in Sunderland.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Where are the results coming in? I just flicked on to sky news and they've only got one council that has declared - Labour holding in Sunderland.

Exit polls. So far as Sunderland is concerned, Lab hold, UKIP 2nd. Lib Dems down to 3% and wiped off the political map in Sunderland. Exit polls predicting a sea-change across the country. But it is early days Acker.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
How can so many people vote for UKIP in a country that overwhelmingly supports and wants to hang on to the NHS, makes no sense to me, their voucher system would end a massive percentage of funding

Protest vote, people are fed up and disillusioned with main stream politics. UKIP are never going to actually get into government

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
How can so many people vote for UKIP in a country that overwhelmingly supports and wants to hang on to the NHS, makes no sense to me, their voucher system would end a massive percentage of funding

I'm amazed myself, their "opt out system" makes virtually no sense. People opting out means it's funded less, therefore the level of care drops and the standards drop. Economic policies of UKIP are incoherent, the issue is like all populist parties. They play on emotional arguments rather than rational fact-based arguments. The Clegg v Farage debates showed this. Both rounds Farage used the basic emotional arguments, Clegg simply couldn't argue against them. Round 2 saw Clegg drop to that level. Unfortunately the UK media has the same idea and all that comes out is the emotional drivel that UKIP spout.

It leaves the UK with a deficit in democratic debate and those who are interested in the EU are generally against, therefore their argument is taken as a reflective and proportional response.

Truth is, a time when people are complaining about politicians lying and self-interest vest. They listen to a politician rather than businesses...

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Protest vote, people are fed up and disillusioned with main stream politics. UKIP are never going to actually get into government

I agree, there are no alternatives for many but sadly if they win in the local and Euro elections as predicted they are going to have a lot of power, this is not about the BNP winning the odd seat this is different and on a very much larger scale.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Yes, but with one in four voting UKIP in a Labour heartland - Bad signs for the big two I'm afraid.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
UKIP may gain votes but they won't gain seats, so therefore no real threat, the conservatives will take on board the anti vote, and when it comes to the general election they will win as people won't trust UKIP to be in charge of the country...... Nothing to see here

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing
Not particularly smashing it. Gaining lots of votes, but not any seats or councillors. I think it's the effect of "protest votes" rather than people actually investing in the policies of the party.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
That's what you get with a country full of ignorant, miserable people with a victim mentality. They know nothing better than to blame their whole 'life-situation' on anything but themselves. "It's all those ****in foreigners from another piece of land on earth that's the root of all my problems"

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
UKIP may gain votes but they won't gain seats, so therefore no real threat, the conservatives will take on board the anti vote, and when it comes to the general election they will win as people won't trust UKIP to be in charge of the country...... Nothing to see here

Research is suggesting that in certain areas of the UK, UKIP is taking more Labour votes than Tory.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I read the news everyday, but I know nothing of this voucher scheme.

I'd imagine there is a significant vote from people who do not use our welfare system. It's an expensive system until you need it,

UKIP may gain votes but they won't gain seats
That's what folk around these parts thought last year. And then UKIP won the County Council seat. But the quality of the candidates that they put up leaves a lot to be desired. The disgruntled bloke down the pub doesn't suddenly turn into a wise local councillor with the skills to manage a budget of hundreds of millions of pounds.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I read the news everyday, but I know nothing of this voucher scheme.

I'd imagine there is a significant vote from people who do not use our welfare system. It's an expensive system until you need it,

I wonder how many people in this country do not actually use the welfare system in some way, I bet it's actually quite a small number.
I assume you did not vote UKIP then as I am sure you would have checked all the policies of a party you are supporting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here