Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship clubs rack up £1bn debt prompting financial fair play rules

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
It looks like our debt has gone down. I think a couple of years ago I saw it at £120 million. Then Bloom converted £40 million into shares so I thought it stood at £80 million. Has he converted some more into shares since?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Interesting that Barnsley have issued a legal challenge to FFP, yet support the rules!

So based on those figures, at least 6 clubs will have transfer embargoes under FFP (assuming we have reduced our losses and others have not). Add Bournemouth to that probably. It seems likely that Leicester will be fined, Burnley won't and neither will Derby if they go up by the looks of things. Reading, Wigan and QPR (when they lose) will be excused this time around, sadly.

Be interesting to see what comes out of this meeting today.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Interesting that Barnsley have issued a legal challenge to FFP, yet support the rules!

So based on those figures, at least 6 clubs will have transfer embargoes under FFP (assuming we have reduced our losses and others have not). Add Bournemouth to that probably. It seems likely that Leicester will be fined, Burnley won't and neither will Derby if they go up by the looks of things. Reading, Wigan and QPR (when they lose) will be excused this time around, sadly.

Be interesting to see what comes out of this meeting today.

The figures in the article are surely from last year, so no penalties for anyone on those results.

Reading, Wigan and QPR are not excused. This is a common misunderstanding.

It is their figures for their final year in the Premier League which are ( sensibly ) not penalized when they are being assessed one year later as a Championship club.

Also I think the meeting was yesterday, and the 75% majority for changes to FFP was not reached. So expect legal challenges from FFP breakers if they are penalized, or legal challenges from FFP compliant clubs if the transgressors are let off. Mess.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East

The way I read it, it's the Barnsley Chairman Maurice Watkins' law firm (Brabners) that is challenging the Football League over FFP (presumably on behalf of another club), whereas Barnsley supports FFP. That legal challenge has nothing to do with Barnsley aside from the fact that it's Chairman is a partner (managing partner?) at the firm.

Interesting article!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I know of one prominent fan who has been fairly critical of Paul Barber's renumeration.

Surely it's a bit simplistic to look at his salary in isolation.

If someone brings in a few millions in new sponsorship deals or is able to save the club millions with the minimal impact, then it is worth paying the going rate to employ them ???

Also, Tony is losing 8 million+ per year, it's really up to him how he choses to spend this loss.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

If someone brings in a few millions in new sponsorship deals or is able to save the club millions with the minimal impact, then it is worth paying the going rate to employ them ???

Also, Tony is losing 8 million+ per year, it's really up to him how he choses to spend this loss.

It is. I hate to say it, but look at Palace's directors.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It is. I hate to say it, but look at Palace's directors.

Yep, but Barber is running a newly formed, multi-million pound, rapidly developing business that employs hundreds of people that has firmly nailed its colours to being self-sustaining. People who can do this successfully do not come cheap. And our man was voted CEO of the year by the entire football industry.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Bristol City's wages to turnover is 190% the season they got relegated.

What they hell is this season going to look like for them?

keaton

Nov 18, 2004

But we are close to London, in one of the few remaining affluent parts of the country, with no big clubs anywhere near to us, in a brand-new stadium with a lot of good press. We should be getting good sponsorship deals

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
With Kuz, Orlandi and Upson all gone, i'd imagine that's one hell of a dent into that wage bill. Vicente was still with us in 12-13 as well, so that's 4 players on big money gone since that financial report.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
With Kuz, Orlandi and Upson all gone, i'd imagine that's one hell of a dent into that wage bill. Vicente was still with us in 12-13 as well, so that's 4 players on big money gone since that financial report.

As long as we cut back on player wages and keeping rewarding our directors the most in the division i'm happy

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The figures in the article are surely from last year, so no penalties for anyone on those results.

Reading, Wigan and QPR are not excused. This is a common misunderstanding.

It is their figures for their final year in the Premier League which are ( sensibly ) not penalized when they are being assessed one year later as a Championship club.

Also I think the meeting was yesterday, and the 75% majority for changes to FFP was not reached. So expect legal challenges from FFP breakers if they are penalized, or legal challenges from FFP compliant clubs if the transgressors are let off. Mess.

Yes, that's what I meant - based on those figures. We will not know this seasons figures until December, but I was just taking those as a guide.

Re the relegated clubs, I thought they were excused in the first year unless they got promoted? That is what is says here (http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/FLExplainedDetail/0,,10794~2748246,00.html) unless this is out of date:

Clubs relegated from the Premier League will not be subject to sanctions in their first season in the Championship as long as they have met their financial obligations under Premier League regulations. They would, however, be subject to the potential of a Fair Play Tax if they achieved promotion in their first season in the Championship whilst not complying with the FFP regulations.

Found this about yesterday:

http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/ASP/news/news.asp?NewsItemId=21739

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/11231718._/?

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/championship-club-reject-ffp-proposed-rule-changes/?

A mess indeed, but I still do not see how it can be successfully challenged if the majority of clubs have agreed to it.

The way I read it, it's the Barnsley Chairman Maurice Watkins' law firm (Brabners) that is challenging the Football League over FFP (presumably on behalf of another club), whereas Barnsley supports FFP. That legal challenge has nothing to do with Barnsley aside from the fact that it's Chairman is a partner (managing partner?) at the firm.

Interesting article!

Yes, you are probably right!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
National media have calculated that if Queens Park Rangers win their Play-Off Final match against Derby County but subsequently repeat their eye-watering 2012-13 losses of £65 million, then they would face a fine of £48 million. Any such fines would ultimately be shared out amongst those clubs that have adhered to the FFP rules

Plucked that from one of the links above. I thought it had been decided that the fines were NOT going to be distributed to other clubs after all ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here