Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do any of the more mature Brighton fans remember this player?

Jan 10, 2014
I use the word 'mature' instead of 'older' because it's nicer.

Any road, the player is Claret legend.... Willie Irvine.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
willieirvine1972.jpg

Lots of articles about him can be found here
http://thegoldstonewrap.com/tag/willie-irvine/

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Didn't he get goal of the season one year?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I use the word 'mature' instead of 'older' because it's nicer.

Any road, the player is Claret legend.... Willie Irvine.

A good player whose status is elevated because of 'that' goal - not meant in a bad way either .
Played in a pretty good side too.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Coached my Sunday League team for a season. 1 training session per week and he forgot that we weren't professionals - bar steward almost killed us. He was a good guy and a decent player for us.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
My first season, don't recall it too clearly, and was stood on a home-made wooden stool in the (quiet) West Stand. Ken Beamish and Barry Bridges stood out in the early years, as did the striking blondes Templeman and Spearitt. Ah, thems were the days!
Bring on next season.

Powney out.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Ah how nice...as a 'mature' Albion fan (56 years supporting) I do remember Willie Irvine...Irish CF..not big...under 6' anyway but quick...with us for about 2 seasons...went back up north...Halifax I think...last heard he had retired and gone back to Burnley
That goal against Villa was superb.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's worth reading about him in Wiki. I didn't realise he was top goal scorer for Burnley in the whole of the old first division.
Had his problems later in life and it just shows when you read up about it how different it is for the top players nowadays.
Hearing all that Yaya Toure crap this week does make you want to throw up when you know what it used to be like.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's worth reading about him in Wiki. I didn't realise he was top goal scorer for Burnley in the whole of the old first division.
Had his problems later in life and it just shows when you read up about it how different it is for the top players nowadays.
Hearing all that Yaya Toure crap this week does make you want to throw up when you know what it used to be like.

My first season, don't recall it too clearly, and was stood on a home-made wooden stool in the (quiet) West Stand. Ken Beamish and Barry Bridges stood out in the early years, as did the striking blondes Templeman and Spearitt. Ah, thems were the days!
Bring on next season.

Powney out.

Do you remember how excited we got when Spearitt took a throw in up their end.

Quite funny really what with all our 'don't lose possession ' philosophy now.

GET IT IN THERE !!!!!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Yep I was there with another 32 + thousand; not bad for a little club in the old 3rd division. Watched it onMOTD that night; what a great day that was.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Had a BBC video of top 100 goals that I watched all the time as a kid - that was on it.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was there, age 13 , stood next to some really decent villa fans in the east terrace, wished us luck at the end of the game as well

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Absolute blinder against Villa in a 2-1 victory, queued for hours before the previous home game to get a ticket in the north stand. A Busby Babe who played in the 58 cup final

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Willie Irvine wasn't a Busby Babe!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Do you remember how excited we got when Spearitt took a throw in up their end.

Quite funny really what with all our 'don't lose possession ' philosophy now.

GET IT IN THERE !!!!!

while I lived in Shrewsbury(I watched nearly all their games) Eddie scored a goal from the left wing one very windy night (the winning goal) against a very young John Phillips who then went on the Villa and Chelsea then us

I was the only one from Brighton that night or at least it felt like it
it was a wet but happy bus ride home that night
Eddie was one of our best left backs around that time
yes those were the days

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Willie Irvine was in the verteran stage when he joined us, having played at the top with Burnley, he joined us via Preston.

Not the biggest for a centre forward but he was clever, knew where to be and how to finish. Playing for Albion revived his career and earned him a recall to the Northern Ireland side for the Home International against England at Wembley and it was a shock 1-0 defeat for England. The winning goal was very much an Albion move in that a corner to the near post for Irvine to flick on to the far where it was headed in.

Very highly respected and fondly remembered by all who saw him down here, I'm sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here