Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quick Question...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Do Catapillers know what they are doing when they start to build a Cocoon? Is it a case of...

'Hell yeh I'm going to wrap myself up in this shit because I want to get myself some badass wings'

or is it more of...

'Literally I have no idea what i am doing this for, but I have started so I might as well finish, shit I'am stuck in here. **** it might as well have a sleep.'

Just wondering, as seems a bit nuts to just bury yourself alive.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Interesting question. They don't appear to have the higher brain function required for the sort of ought process and self awareness to actually think about it, so in that sense, no I don't think they do, it is just a genetically predetermined behaviour that occurs if the caterpillar reaches the right stage of development/has the right resources.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No, they don't know. Basically they follow their natural imperitive to find food. When they have enough energy stored, gained from their natural instinct to eat an involuntary progression of their DNA is triggered. This compels them to build a cocoon and they go into a form of hibernation as they transform. If they don't eat enough they have also go into a non-cocooned hibernation until the next spring. If a bird doesn't pick them off they have about 4 cycles/chances to cocoon and then they die having never fulfilled their winged destiny.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Instinct I guess, determined by genetic instructions. Though I do like the idea that they look forward to the transformation, like Heimlich out of A Bug's Life.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Do Catapillers know what they are doing when they start to build a Cocoon? Is it a case of...

'Hell yeh I'm going to wrap myself up in this shit because I want to get myself some badass wings'

or is it more of...

'Literally I have no idea what i am doing this for, but I have started so I might as well finish, shit I'am stuck in here. **** it might as well have a sleep.'

Just wondering, as seems a bit nuts to just bury yourself alive.

What else are they equiped to do at that age, go surfing, learn to play the flute? :lolol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I assumed it was just nature being nature, still a bit weird though.

It come about because it took this Moth 20 years to eat enough food to be able to Cocoon itself, each year it would freeze shut down its body until the following summer. 20 years just so you can wrap yourself up! **** that. I much prefer the idea that he spent 20 years because he really wanted to fly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here